How do it get a finish like this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt scarlett

Established Member
Reaction score
in following my hobby i want to take it up a step or two. So, how would i go about getting a wood finish like this?

071960aa-a122-42ea-8b1c-1319666a2056_1234153371.jpg

Nice speaker. Sonus Faber?

As for the finish sorry cant really help other to say a fair few man hours and elbow grease will be needed.

There are a few ways you can do this, but probably the easiest is for with alcohol dyes (e.g. TransTint) followed by a good clear coat. This would probably be lacquer but you can do this with shellac or even varnish if you had to. The dyeing might involve a multi-step process, with black first followed by sanding, followed by the red.

An alternative for those with spray equipment and a good spray booth would be to spray the bare wood with a tinted clear, a "candy" as they call it on US car shows.

In either case the surface might need to be flatted off (sanded smooth with fine wet 'n' dry) and then polished for a wet-look shine.

I am not sure that you could recreate that with dyes. i would oil and then put a clear coat on top- lacquer, shellac or similar, as ED65 suggested. I assume that is veneered rosewood?

Beau":85jcw79s said:
Nice speaker. Sonus Faber?

As for the finish sorry cant really help other to say a fair few man hours and elbow grease will be needed.

Yes Sonus Faber. I don't care much for them, however I like the finish.

To anyone, i don't know if this helps. Thank you all for your input so far.

sonus_faber_homage_series_lilium_floor_standing_speakers_manufacturing_process_6.jpg

sonus_faber_homage_series_lilium_floor_standing_speakers_manufacturing_process_1.jpg

sonus_faber_homage_series_aida_floor_standing_speakers_manufacturing_process_13.jpg

I'm guessing this is the sanding process before the finish, or is that a part of how to get a good finish?

sonus_faber_homage_series_amati_futura_floor_standing_speakers_19.jpg

sonus_faber_homage_series_vox_centre_speaker_12.jpg

sonus_faber_homage_series_vox_centre_speaker_16.jpg

i am not convinced that it is dyed. it looks to me like it is laminated and bent, sanded through the grits until perfectly smooth, spray lacquered and buffed using a buffing compound.

If it's any help to you this below is a finish I got with 2K clear lacquer.
It's my tool cabinet and wasn't looking for anything fancy, just durable.
Sprayed on in a booth and left to air dry. If flatted and polished it would be even better, actually if I'd even prepped anywhere near properly it would have been better.
Sanded to 240 grit, then 3 coats wet on wet.

This is the picture i was looking for.

sonus_faber_ex3ma__aida_olympica_minima_elipsa_matej_isak_monoandstereo_mono_stereo_test_review_factory_visit_2014_munich_201427.jpg

marcros":2vw3gz7k said:
i am not convinced that it is dyed. it looks to me like it is laminated and bent, sanded through the grits until perfectly smooth, spray lacquered and buffed using a buffing compound.

But i assume however they did it, it was sprayed on?

phil.p":2vw3gz7k said:
:D I must be honest - when I looked at your opening picture and read the question, I wondered why you would wish to make wood look like red wallpaper.

Why be Dull? :)

ok, so it may be dyed! i would have thought, commercially, it would be sprayed, for speed and ease. but I think you could apply it how you chose- if water based dye is used, i normally apply with a cloth- flood the area. have a look on youtube for people using transtint to sunburst a guitar, and that will show you the use of water based dyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ56p-3_SXE is one clip, but there are others too.

Latest posts

Back