Hot glue/finishing question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greedo

Established Member
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help if this is a thing I read or dreamt ha ha.

When finishing a surface to get a real shine I'm sure I read in a book(can't find now) about a finishing technique to fill the grain and get a lovely glass like sheen where a guy did the following:-

*Watered down the hot glue to something like 3:1
*Covered the table surface with the hot glue and left to dry
* Sanded it off lightly and then added the normal, 3 coats of shellac
* Left to cure and then steel wooled and waxed

Points 3 and 4 are standard obviously but is steps 1 and 2. Are they a things or not?

Yes, this is done as a matter of course when using hot hide glue to hammer veneer. You basically apply glue both sides of the veneer, ostensibly so moisture is equalised on both sides to minimise curling or cockling, but it also acts as a grain filler and, in the case of burr veneers, helps deal with the voids that are extremely common with burr.

custard":1i0hsoyd said:
Yes, this is done as a matter of course when using hot hide glue to hammer veneer. You basically apply glue both sides of the veneer, ostensibly so moisture is equalised on both sides to minimise curling or cockling, but it also acts as a grain filler and, in the case of burr veneers, helps deal with the voids that are extremely common with burr.

Thanks. Top man. Glad i'm not going mad and made it up. ha ha

Would this therefore give a Macassar ebony veneer a reall gloss like sheen for a small box I'm making as just oiling with Danish oil or something tends to leave Macassar ebony looking dull.

Just to clarify this, we are not talking about hot glue from an electric glue gun, yeah? :shock: #-o

sunnybob":1aiqh9kf said:
Just to clarify this, we are not talking about hot glue from an electric glue gun, yeah? :shock: #-o

No, it's not hot melt glue! It's hide glue, heated up in a bain marie type arrangement and used at just about the hottest temperature your hand can stand.

Greedo":4o8pxum3 said:
Would this therefore give a Macassar ebony veneer a reall gloss like sheen for a small box I'm making as just oiling with Danish oil or something tends to leave Macassar ebony looking dull.

It's really not necessary with Macassar Ebony because it's a fairly fine grained timber, so there's not much grain filling required in order to get a mirror finish. Just go straight to shellac and you'll be fine. If you're not comfortable french polishing then a sanding sealer followed by a hard wax will also give a decent gloss.

I did know, Custard, honest (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)
I used to help my dad make that evil stuff when I was still at primary school in the 50's. :shock:
Just wanted to clear it up for these "newbies" :D :D

Not only for "the newbies" sunnybob.

For the "sillies" too!

When I first saw the headline I immediately thought of hot melt glue (though I should have known better as the word "melt" was missing)! Ah well, "No fool like an old fool"!

My dad was a skilled cabinet maker (shame i never caught any of it) and I helped him a lot back then. I knew what tool he wanted next and passed it to him. But when he mixed up a batch of that stuff I was not to be seen. Trouble was his workroom was a downstairs backroom in the house, so it was impossible to fully escape it. Mum was definitely not impressed. :roll: :roll:

Custard, can I ask what you think of the results when using HHG for pore filling. I tried it once and thought the look very dull, but I was utter rubbish at finishing then (as opposed to just mediocre now).

Of course, I know I'll have try on scrap, but any thoughts in advance might help me.

Latest posts

Back