Horizontal Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shultzy

Established Member
Reaction score
It it worth making a horizontal router table. Why I ask is I had a accident with my Erbauer 210C router. It dropped off my bench and landed on the handle with the switch, snapping it off the aluminium casing. Now I think its virtually impossible to get spares for these routers, I've tried all the usual areas, so as it still works I thought I might put it in horizontal table. I already have a normal router table but I can't think of any uses other than for trimming lipping. Any ideas, anyone got one of these routers that's kaput I could buy?

There are a few router bits that can be used with a horizontal router. Some of the bearing less panel raisers are one. You have a big flat surface to router on, rather than on edge. There was some designs in one of the US mags a few years back on such a table and i was tempted to make one for myself. But never got around to it.

Hi Steve
I have a HRT built onto the side of my RT (Norm's). I used the design from Bill Hylton's "Router Magic". I bet I've used it twice in a decade. When you need one, it's jolly useful, but quite honestly there are better, easier, faster ways of cutting any mortice that I want to cut.
Carl's point above about raised panels is a good one, but I'd rather use a "normal" cutter for that anyway.
S

If you thought it would see more use you could build a dedicated tennoner... and if you picked up a cheapie trim saw (plenty of 136mm ones on ebay for under £25) and fine cut blade, you'd be able to build something smaller but identical in function to a 'real' SET.

The only design quibble is that a horizontal configuration would be a little better for norma tennons, and vertical would be more adaptable to suit making coped & stuck joints.

Whilst of course a "proper" tenoner is a perfectly desirable machine, a HRT is a very poor substitute for one. It was one reason for adding it to my RT, I must admit, but now, of course, I have much better options.
I don't think that you will prefer to cut tenons with a HRT over cutting them on a bandsaw or tablesaw.
S

Could you post a pic so we can see the damage? Might be able to see if its repairable. Seems a shame to chuck it out if it still works

I've cut the male components for sliding dovetails on a horizontal router and it was much easier than with a regular router table.

Keep your eye out on ebay for an Erbaurer, they are the Screwfix own brand and come up pretty regularly, you may be lucky and hit on one which is on for 'spares or repairs'

Andy

Thanks for the comment.

ColeyS1 - I don't think its repairable, its part of the aluminium casting that holds both handles, except by welding the ally. I've gaffa-taped it back in place and it works if I squeeze the handles together, but not ideal.

andersonec - I've spotted two on ebay with 5 days to go so I'll keep an eye on them.

Steve Maskery":37tl0a0m said:
Whilst of course a "proper" tenoner is a perfectly desirable machine, a HRT is a very poor substitute for one. It was one reason for adding it to my RT, I must admit, but now, of course, I have much better options.
I don't think that you will prefer to cut tenons with a HRT over cutting them on a bandsaw or tablesaw.
S

That's why I think it would be worth investing in a cheapie trimsaw to go with the router if you wanted to make a dedicated tenoning device... If you define the shoulder cleanly with the fine-cut saw and hog the material off with the router... it should theoretically give rather better results than a router alone.

Latest posts

Back