Homemade T-Track?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainSawdust

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to make their own T Track by cutting a dado into a piece of aluminium box section?

If so does it work? Seems like box section is significantly cheaper than pre-made T Track but most people I see tend to buy theirs.

Unless you have a machine shop with free materials, no way will you make it cheaper than you can buy it.

I saw someone do it last week on YouTube they ran it through the table saw twiceand like magic they had T Track! Great idea, can't remember who did it though. :roll:

Cheap alternative especially if you need a lot of T-track

I bought the T-track from Axminster. Only needed 2 meter so not worth messing about.

You would need those clamps which spread the load over a large area of the T. If you tried to clamp anything down to that with a single bolt I would exepect that soft ali to bow out.

I'm not one to throw money about, but i bought the proper track. one of the normal bolt head clamps blowing out will ruin your day.

The wall thickness of that box section looks thin in comparison to the T Track that I've used.

I agree with SunnyBob,....I think that 20mm x 20mm x 2mm wall thickness would distort with anything other than a rail clamp tightened in it.

Back