Holly Stump Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumberpete

Established Member
Reaction score
I am finally moving into a house with its own workshop, and to coincide with this I have been given the stump of a holly tree that I want to turn into something useful.

Its dimensions in the rough are about 12" wide and deep at its widest point and about 12" between the roots and the trunk. I figured I could get an even 8" width out of it.

My first question is; what is the best way to season this? Should I leave it for a while and then cut it to size or should I just cut it to size and season?

My second question is; any ideas on what I could do with it? Bearing in mind that I don't have access to a lathe, at least for now.

Sorry for for the quality of the pictures, I only have an iPhone.

Attachments

• Holly stump #1.JPG
    Holly stump #1.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,573
  • Holly Stump #2.JPG
    Holly Stump #2.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 1,573
Burn it!

No really, it will break your heart trying to work it and then it will split when you turn your back

I did manage to season a bit once and it's like concrete and about as useful
Bland stuff too

Holly, if it can be kept white, is usually used to make white lines for inlaying, to keep it white it must be planked and placed in a kiln the same day it is cut down, your Holly will no doubt develop a greenish tinge, to try and stop it splitting, which is difficult, it must be cut, sealed and placed in a cool location out of any sun and covered, it needs to be dried slowly. As a timber it is not very attractive but it can be used as a contrasting wood for highlights etc. There may be some interesting grain patterns at the root flare.

Andy

Thanks Lurker and Andy for your replies. :D

to keep it white it must be planked and placed in a kiln the same day it is cut down, your Holly will no doubt develop a greenish tinge, to try and stop it splitting, which is difficult, it must be cut, sealed and placed in a cool location out of any sun and covered, it needs to be dried slowly

As this was removed on Sunday I think I might be a bit late to plank it on the same day. :roll:

There may be some interesting grain patterns at the root flare.

This is more what I was thinking when I was given it. I will have a go at planking it this week.

Hope you find some good stuff, when it's cut try wrapping it with plastic and stick it somewhere it will not get any sun (even winter sun) open the plastic every now and then to let some fresh air in, anything to try to slow down the drying process.

Andy

The only use I know for holly wood is as a base for a blacksmiths anvil. I used to work as a tree surgeon and had a couple of farriers/blacksmiths ask me to look out for large rings of holly. As holly doesn't grow really big or fast, it was like gold dust to them .apparently if it's big enough it doesn't split but it had really good shock dampening effects so it made hammering on the anvil kinder on the arms and wrists.

I know this information is not a lot of use, but it's the only time I ever had someone asking me for holly wood.

phil.p":1zalpk2u said:
That stump looks as if it's been dead for a long time - if so any staining will have occurred long ago, and there'll be little point in worrying what happens to it now. It burns quite well, though. :)

Phil, look closely and you will see a twig with leaves on growing off that dead stump.

Andy

Back