hollowing tool advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, not been on for ages!! just turned a few more at last! but I need a hollowing tool quite badly now. I have bought a swan neck tool where you change the tip but it just had a scraper on so I need to get another tip for it. I do do some small work, anyone know if these micro scrapers are okay? the one I have is pretty big!

How micro do you want? I have made a few small tools from nails and reciprocating saw blades. Easy to grind to shape. Also chat up your dentist for any old picks that he has. You can make loads of different tools if it's small stuff you want.

Pete

Hi Mrs S.

You could make your own hollowing tools using 3/8" or 1/2" bright mild bar bent to shape with rubber tape for the handle, or you could make a wood handle.

For the cutting tips use pieces of masonary nails, just be careful cutting them, they can shatter.

Drill a hole in the ends of the steel bars so as you can hammer the cutting tips in, or use super glue. I have made a few different sizes of these types, although the bigger ones have a tapped hole and grub screw to hold the cutters with.

Thank you, but I will pass this on to sliver .... I can't do it ... I'm a girl!! I DIDN'T MEAN THAT!!!! I mean I AM a girl but ... not tried to do anything like that yet, so I will need showing.

Having seen some of the things that you have been turning so far I would have thought that you would relish the challenge :lol:

Pete

oh I do! but this is all new to me really! Even my dad never did wood or metal work, and though I was one of the the first girls in our area to be offered to do it as a subject at school. it was only offered for the last half term of out stay and only 4 of us took it on, but the teachers knew why we did it! they knew that all girls want to make is rings and broches and little pretty things .. so not much learned there then! :evil:
But I'll be glad to give it a bash! :shock:

Back