Holes for tea lights in softwood end grain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob39

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I've got some branches (soft wood leylandii), which I've cut down to around 3" in length, and attempted to cut a hole in the top with a forstner saw tooth bit 40mm. So to make a tea light holder. But it only manages to take out around 3mm then just stops cutting through. (would make a great fire starter). Ok its end grain and the wood is still green. Is it a case of the wood needs to dry out properly. Easily cuts through pine across the grain (kiln dried)

You have answered your questions yourself.

Leylandii is fast growing and open grained. That means the fibers are flexible. You couldn't cut the bristles of a broom with a forstner bit if you went at them end-on - they'd just move out of the way.

It's also very soggy inside with fairly sticky resin, so the resin will bind and friction will heat everything up. It'll probably ruin the edge on the bit too, if you persist (it'll either get gummed up or just overheat and lose its hardness), which will add to the fun.

Try a sharp Jennings pattern bit if you must do this (NOT in a power tool). You'll have to use quite a bit of pressure though, as its leadscrew won't work well in end grain. You also won't get a very flat bottom to the hole, which is unhelpful in this context.

Leylandii logs are quite useful for making sacks of shavings for putting on car park flower beds. They're also quite handy around Nov. 5th, when they have a traditional use...

Cynically, E.

PS: It'll still be hard to do if you choose a different wood and try to drill its end grain with a Forstner bit. They're intended for cross-grain and man-made materials really.

PPS: If desperate to do this, you might try using a spur-pointed wood drill, say 10mm and a round template of the right diameter in a pillar drill with the depth stop set, to hog out most of the volume first (perforate the desired area with multiple holes). there's no easy way though - you can't just have a "V" of fences and rotate the log, as logs aren't circular and the ring of holes will follow the irregularities of the log. Also, when you finally get to the forstner bit you'll need to hold down the log very securely, as the Forstner bit will want to bump about. I don't think you'll win this one...

Cheers Eric. I've got some nice Silver birch logs and it does the same with them. Never mind, will use the birch for something else and burn the leyladii
Rob

Is this what your trying to achieve
image.jpg

Drill hole with holesaw then dig out the centre with a chisel, finish off with a small forstner bit to give you a level(ish) bottom.

Stew

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 121
Back