Hinge advice for external oak door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I need some advice please about the number and rating of hinges for an external oak door.

Its a big boy: 1950 x 990mm. Upper 2/3rds will be a 9 light, glazed section - probably 14mm dg units and the bottom 1/3 is frame and panel. Stiles are 125mm with bottom rail of 225mm, mid rail of 150 and top rail at 125mm.

I had assumed a mimimum of 4 hinges - or should I stick with three and up the rating? Also in terms of positioning should I be putting two high up and one at the bottom?

Cheers

Tim

Tim, You should be Ok with 3 hinges for a heavy door.

The correct way to hang these is:_ top hinge 6" from top, middle hinge is 14" from the beginning of the top hinge, and then the bottom hinge should be 9" from the bottom of the door.

Hope this helps

I would go for ball race hinges either in stainless or brass depending on the finish of your door furniture with a BSEN number of 11 or higher (80kg loading over the three hinges).

As for placement two at the top and one at the bottom will take the load better but three equally spaced will be better if you think there is a risk of the door warping.

Also worth checking with your insurance whether they require security pins on the hinges or separate hinge bolts. I also hung a door for a customer where there insurance insisted on a 5 point locking system to the timber door.

Will 4/6/4 Double glazing meet current part L regs?

Jason

I used SOSS hinges on my tool cabinet. They are very strong - a bit of a pain to fit and not very forgiving (I had to make two special router jigs).

However, they are invisible (when the door is shut!) and probably satisfy any security requirements. Caveat - I know sweet fanny about regulations/insurance requirements and the like.

main_soss.jpg

Thanks guys.

Re regs - if the rest of the house is single glazed - and this is a replacement of an existing door, please tell me that I don't need to put gert fat dg units in.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Jason

I'll talk to the client. Who is liable if they don't ask building control etc?

jasonB":5soyneye said:
Worth a call to your local building control dept.

May be of interest http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jsp ... &tstart=15

Jason

What a worrisome thread. Does this mean that I have to notify Building Control the next time those naughty boys break my window and I need to replace the glass?

Do I need to look out for Part X and notify BC the next time my beautiful house is painted? Do I have to ask BC's permission as to the colour?

Lastly, does Part Z mean that I need to notify BC the next time I wash my windows?

As you can see, all these regulations have got me in a bit of a tizzy.

Marge

:lol: Marge if your window gets broken and is single glazed you can repair it with single glazing , if your window and frame are rotten you should be replacing it with double glazed k or solar glass exept if you are in a conservation area . In this case you are not allowed double glazing .
If you are unsure of any points best give your local council planning and building control office a call , you wont get a straight answer from them but its fun listening to them ask the whole office and hearing everyone say "dunno"

Hi JFC

JFC":kfctqx74 said:
....exept if you are in a conservation area . In this case you are not allowed double glazing.

:shock:

The area in which I live has just been classified as a conservation area. I'd better have another look at that wonderful leaflet that I received.

Cheers
Neil

Back