Hide a Safe Behind a Picture Frame

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon831

Reaction score
I need to hide a safe behind a picture frame on a flat wall. It can't be too obvious - more for aesthetic than security reasons.

I have looked at drawer sliders but can't find any that would allow the picture to sit fairly flush against the wall. It needs to be easy to get in and out of, which rules out various hidden picture frame mounts which tend to need a tool or a few seconds of messing to remove. Ideally the picture would stay attached and slide/hinge back into position rather than being removed and put on the floor.

Has anyone a suggest or a product they can recommend?

Simple, use a bog standard piano hinge, but make a picture frame where the sides are deeper than normal so the back of the actual picture is proud of the wall by X amount but the sides of the frame are actually sitting flush against the wall, thus creating a cavity inside the frame. Maybe add a couple rare earth magnets to the non hinged side to keep it closed shut.

You need to think carefully about keeping everything clean, in use.

Otherwise handmarks, scuffing etc that a picture on a wall wouldn't normally have may give the game away.

BugBear

paulrockliffe":1bwd37ch said:
A straight picture with no dust on top of the frame is a dead give away!

I agree. Lucky for you I happen to have some jars of dust for sale. pm if you are interested.

French cleate

rafezetter":30fdenzi said:
Simple, use a bog standard piano hinge, but make a picture frame where the sides are deeper than normal so the back of the actual picture is proud of the wall by X amount but the sides of the frame are actually sitting flush against the wall, thus creating a cavity inside the frame. .

Not sure I understand. Won't the edge of the piano hinge be visible?

are you going to put a picture of a safe in the picture frame?

could you not have the frame stay still but the centre of the picture swing out? you'd have to make a detail of the join in the frame but it would give you the concealed safe and could look good (you could even use standard kitchen door hinges as they open within themselves) :)

(note, words aren't working, can't remember correct name for hinge type)

When the OH requested a safe in the wall behind a picture I used the hinges below which open very wide, and as such swing the door outwards - which means that your picture can be larger that the actual 'hole in the wall' and cover any obvious joint lines etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Titus-Sprung-C ... B00NJSSOSA

I got them from Screwfix, but they are no longer available, but something similar would work. Also used 'push to open' catches, so to open just push slightluy and the door pops out

I recommend that you check if there's any reason that the safe door has to swing open by more than ninety degrees. A shelf that might need repositioning or removing; or a stupidly placed battery compartment if it's electronic. A safe door that needs to swing through a big angle limits your options a bit as to the kind of hinge or the side of the picture that has the hinge.

The least obvious would be to hang the picture just as the other pictures in the room are hung. Normally a safe isn't accessed very frequently but the picture will be seen every day.

Brentingby":xoe9nq1y said:
The least obvious would be.....

Thanks, but its not so important to be 100% James Bond. Ease of access is most important, I just don't want to have any visible hinge or such like because ... well, just because.

How is the safe mounted to the wall? in a recess? flush to wall? proud of wall?
If in a recess then any standard kitchen/ wardrobe hinge could work.
if flush a pair of full extension drawer runners fitted horizontally above and below safe may work.

or

One piano hinge fastened to the wall to the left of the safe. The left side is fastened to the wall. The right side is fastened to a rectangular piece of wood or metal the same height as the hinge, and wide enough to cover the safe. The right side of the rectangle is attached to another piano hinge, which is attached to the painting.

The picture can swing away from the safe while staying parallel to the wall. (borrowed from internet ;) )

simon831":3s3fz2le said:
Ease of access is most important, I just don't want to have any visible hinge or such like because ... well, just because.

Hinge it at the top, then. Only very tall people would see the hinges. Support the picture in the up position with a stick that stores behind the picture.

simon831":1k8m1gl0 said:
rafezetter":1k8m1gl0 said:
Simple, use a bog standard piano hinge, but make a picture frame where the sides are deeper than normal so the back of the actual picture is proud of the wall by X amount but the sides of the frame are actually sitting flush against the wall, thus creating a cavity inside the frame. .

Not sure I understand. Won't the edge of the piano hinge be visible?

No the knuckle of the hinge would be on the inside - the hinge will only ever go to 90deg inside - the "corner" 'tween wall and the inside of the frame cavity.

jdeacon":1k8m1gl0 said:
I recommend that you check if there's any reason that the safe door has to swing open by more than ninety degrees. A shelf that might need repositioning or removing; or a stupidly placed battery compartment if it's electronic. A safe door that needs to swing through a big angle limits your options a bit as to the kind of hinge or the side of the picture that has the hinge.

Put the picture hinge on the OTHER SIDE of the safe hinge, allowing the safe door to swing 180deg.

Brentingby":1k8m1gl0 said:
The least obvious would be to hang the picture just as the other pictures in the room are hung. Normally a safe isn't accessed very frequently but the picture will be seen every day.

Only the most observant of thieves will notice the difference, and that sort of thief will automatically check behind a picture regardless of how it looks - the objective in most domestic cases is to fool the brainless scrotes who are chancers for a quick B&E, grab what they can and run. As far as personal aesthetics is concerned I guess that's between you, your OH and any OCD involved :)

The hinge at the top and use a stick idea is self defeating, to get the picture to 90deg you'll need a longer stick that you think, and then how do you hide the stick? It'll get left in plain view out of sheer laziness, or lost.

A simple hinge, hidden inside the frame cavity is the simplest, easiest option to apply.

How about using full extension Accuride style (bearing) runners? These could be set in a slight rebate to keep the frame close to the wall. If the wall was a bit lumpy, you could use a frame on top of a frame with a design detail to conceal any join. A frame with a large back bevel would best conceal anything going on behind.

Jim

Latest posts

Back