HH Swan Tenon Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was rooting through a mess of stuff at a car boot yesterday & came across a 10" tenon saw that looked awful. As I'd already bougfht some odd bits the guy said "take it or it'll go in the bin".
I haven't had time to give it a caress but enough to pick out HH S Sheffield England & the name THE DEMON. All in a nice font. Cast steel back. Split nuts too. The teeth are in a terrible state & need recutting.
I've searched the Net & can't find a mention of 'the demon' but I'm sure it must be HH Swan, by default.

Anyone come across one of these??

HH Swann were founded around 1920. They were based in Copper Street, Sheffield, at Cygnet Works. They went into liquidation in 1970. They originally made circular saws of an extremely high specification and quality, built to order. I believe they started making tenon and dovetail saws around 1948 and carried on producing them in small numbers up until the end. Again, they were all high specification and built to order so there won't be many around.

MMUK":1lhmoejd said:
HH Swann were founded around 1920. They were based in Copper Street, Sheffield, at Cygnet Works. They went into liquidation in 1970. They originally made circular saws of an extremely high specification and quality, built to order. I believe they started making tenon and dovetail saws around 1948 and carried on producing them in small numbers up until the end. Again, they were all high specification and built to order so there won't be many around.

Thanks for the input. Picked up a forum post about the company a while ago; sounds like a nice little firm. If it was built to order I'll be well happy. It wants a lot of work & I'll leave the recutting until last (not me btw!). I wonder if 'The Demon' was a special order; it would be very very nice to find info on it.

just come across this thread.
I worked at H. H. Swann in 1966/7 as a circular saw setter and sharpener as my grandfather and uncle had before me.
My father was a grinder there in the 1940/50s.
My mother worked in the hand saw dept etching the blades and spraying the handles along with my auntie in the 1930/40s.
If you look on Picture Sheffield there is a photo of Copper street and a photo of my grandfather Harry Brindley grinding the teeth of a circular saw.
The premises were very old and were converted terraced houses.
They also made 2 man saws and bandsaws.

Latest posts

Back