Henry Taylor HS1 ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi , do you know if this chisel is a " Bowl Gouge " or a " Spindle Gouge "

This is what it says on there web site

The original Superflute HS1 designed in 1978 by Roy Child is perhaps the most famous woodturning tool of all time, has sold in thousands all over the world and remains the ultimate gouge used by most leading turners.

I need to find out what it is so I can sharpen it with the correct bevel angle ?

Thanks

Blister":2tu0napm said:
I need to find out what it is so I can sharpen it with the correct bevel angle ?

The HS1 is a 1/2 inch deep fluted bowl gouge. The flute is a more V shape rather than the U profile you find on most standard bowl gouges and it is this that distinguishes it as a Henry Taylor Superflute (I believe the flute profile was patented by Henry Taylor).

Regarding the bevel angle I don't beieve there is such a thing as a "correct" bevel angle. You simple grind it to the angle that suits the way you wish to use the gouge. It can have a swept back grind or a traditional grind. I have 4 of these gouges and they are all ground differently.

Latest posts

Back