Help With Wood Selection, Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveal

Reaction score
I'm in the process of planning a new project. A platform style bed.

I hope these links give an idea:

http://www.foamorder.com/view_image.php ... ry_2_large
http://www.chopa.com/ShopSite/zen_bed.html

My question concerns the type of wood to use. We are looking for a light coloured wood and my first thought was Sycamore.

The question is for "bed size" timber (say a minimum of 6" x 2" sections up to 8ft long) is sycamore a suitable, readily available choice?
Should I try to obtain large sections or joint up smaller sections?
Any comments about working sycamore in these large sizes?
How about finishing, so that the light colour remains?
We could compromise on the "lightness of colour" if another timber gave much better finishing or working properties.

Are there any other types of wood I should consider?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve

6 x 2in is hardly large, si getting hold of it shouldn't be a problem. Best source I know of (at least in terms of quality) is John Boddy. Main thing to watch out for is that the timbers don't show any sign of "stickering" (a sort of bruise where the sticker was during drying) as this can go a long way in with sycamore.

Personally I rather like sycamore, although it dowes have one or two quirks - such as it neeeds to be sawn and planed with freshly sharpened tools (at least on power tools), but at least it's a lot more stable than that other English light wood - beech. As for length, whenever I've bought it it has come to me in 12 to 16ft lengths, so 8ft won't present too many problems.

As to finiashin, ay oil or varnish will inevitably darken the wood, so I'd suggest looking at a water-based acrtlic lacquer, such as Dulux Diamond Glaze. These water-based products are truly coloutrless and have no tendency to yellow or darken with age.

Scrit

Back