Help repairing water-stain on oak table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowry_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
We have a solid oak table with an oil finish, which suffered a water-stain from a leaky flower-arrangement. I contacted the makers, who sent me the original finish oil (Pearson white linseed oil), and a sanding pad. They also said there had been no stain applied, just the oil.

I followed their instructions, sanded the raised grain, and applied several coats of oil to the damaged area, resanding lightly between coats. The patch still has a bleached appearance, and doesn't look like its going to darken to match the original finish.

Any advice, or do I need to sand the finish off the top and redo it completely?

Thanks,
Drew

Hi Drew

it sounds like the table top had darkend over time in the daylight/sun etc so what you have done by just sanding the affected area is to lighten that part back to the original colour-
I would sand and re-finish the whole are to acheive a uniform colour and finish

it sounds like the table top had darkend over time in the daylight/sun etc so what you have done by just sanding the affected area is to lighten that part back to the original colour-

Thats possible, although the table was made to order only about a year ago. Also, the patch had bleached before I sanded due simply to the water damage.

I'm trying to avoid refinishing the whole top as its a big table - the top is in 2 parts which slide out to accommodate 2 extension pieces underneath, so I'd have to do the lot to ensure a good colour match. Howeevr, if thats the only solution...

Back