Help removing stain from wood floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethharvey

Established Member
Reaction score
We have just taken down our Christmas tree and found a stain on the floor where the tree was. The tree was held in an iron holder, water has escaped and landed on the oak floor, iron and oak don't really mix. Is there anything I can do to remove the stain (without sanding).

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 99
Might be an idea to consider, if have a floorboard with something over it, sofa, sideboard, bit of carpet, whatever, then switch floorboards around? Perhaps reverse the floorboard?

I will try bleach on a scrap piece. Switching the floor board is not really an option, it's tongue and grooved, with a screw through the tongue every 300mm so removing the board would be a nightmare

You need to get some oxalic acid, you can buy it in crystal form from Fiddes in Cardiff or Liberon sell it in liquid form under the name of "wood bleacher" http://www.liberon.co.uk/repair-and-pre ... kmfA%3D%3D

If you get the crystals, melt a small handful in a jar with some near boiling water, apply to the stain with a green nylon pan scourer and gently rub the solution into the stain, it may take five minutes but the stain should disappear completely. if it does not you can leave the solution on overnight. it will dry into a white crust but that is okay. Rinse off with warm water on an old rag or sponge, when dry re-apply the finish you have on the boards.
Take great care with this product, it is very poisonous. Wear gloves, keep children and pets well away and bin any rags etc you have used.

Apparently, Oxalic Acid is the thing to use ... ???

Edit ... SNAP!!!

I deal with this kind of thing quite regularly on finished floors on boats, the above advise is good, I use Liberon ready mixed for convenience but have no doubt Fiddes crystal version will be just as effective. Paradoxically I find that although the finish on the floor is incapable of preventing the water from damaging the timber in the first place it does a passable job at stopping the oxalic acid from reversing it. You will probably find that you need to scrape back the damaged area to bare timber before applying the oa then refinish once dry. For an area that size I use a utility knife blade to good effect.
Richard

Back