HELP!!!!!!!!!! Pricing of jobs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezmaster

Established Member
Reaction score
hi has anyone got a guide to pricing jobs, ie wht to charge door fittings, locks, skirting per metre price, etc, etc,

any help would be great, as i seem to be unsure wht i should really charge.

thanks

Jez...

Give us a clue on what your'e charging now and you just know we will give our 'two penneth'

well, i trained and passed as a jioner, working in a joinery shop, but im mainly a site fitter, doing joinery at home in my workshop.

just recently fitted, a external front door and frame with two locks and letter box, and i charged £225.

as that was my first main job, i think i was rubbish at pricing it.

supply and fit....

or just fit...

for fit only, if it took you a day (or part of) a reasonable cost, as long as you have other work or a job for the other days of the week....

This will of course start the threads...

Pub lia insurance, van costs, tax, markup, etc. etc. etc....

You have to look at what you need and can earn and work cost accordingly.

Senior and felderman will probably agree with me, as will many others in regard to 'you charge what the market or the customer' can take.

Marky

no, that was my price to fit, was done on a weekend, as i have a full time job with a joinery shop, and im there onsite joinery fitter

im currently trying to create a price list for vaies jobs ie, doors, frame,

so i then have a better ideal price to go on, plus profit on top of that price.

also, when you fit a job, do you add profit on to materials, ie, gfripfill from ur builging merchant is 1.90 where as b&q is £2.50,
do you make it to ur gaing buy getting them cheap the add abit etxra on for profit.

I suppose the question is then...

Are you happy working on a saturday for £225.00

With the other job, you probably are, although I would still get PL Insurance for your own protection....

You have to look at almost any job worth doing for the public will take whole days, so fitting a couple of internal doors and say doing some locks etc, will still take a day.

You can never do anything else with it so 'it's probably worth charging a day' for.

But having said that you only do it in your free time (at the moment) so if your'e happy and the punters happy, the world will continue to turn.

My point would be do you have public liability and if you don't what would you do if you hit a water pipe or worse.

If this is top up money to your joinery job, why be greedy. If this is going to be your main income, then high prices have to be backed up with quality work.

This whole subject is very complex, but felderman has sussed how I price somehow :oops:

break the bid down into sections.

hrs to design
hrs to manufacture.
hrs to apply finish ect.
hrs to install.
hrs to gather materials.
hrs spent deliveries.
hrs spent doing bid.
add these up for total hrs.

then materials costs.
add these up(including glues,screws ect)

then seperate to this is the overheads,
premises rent ect
van/transport.
machines/tools.
insurance's
these should be a yearly total broken down into weekly/monthly segments.

your wages +overheads added together for hourly rate,

multiply hr rate x estimated hrs,+materials,+ a profit% say 5-12%,then add taxes.

this is the simple version,it can be far more complicated.

its easier to think in days rather than hrs--so think half,third,3qrtrs,full day,2 days ect,--then convert to hrs.

shivers.

Blimey Shivers, i'd spend more time working out the cost of the job than making it.

senior":vybtp36g said:
Blimey Shivers, i'd spend more time working out the cost of the job than making it.

i know iknow,but once you have your overheads converted they are usually a constant no need to do them the next time.,everything else is hours/materials.

quick breakdown is

constant overheads (divided by 2080 hrs/result then multiplied x job hrs) +job hours (wages & profit %)+materials + taxes.

i always thought fitting was to be dragged out --to give the painter 5 minutes.

Back