Help please - how to sell off cheap lots of beech etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross K

Established Member
Reaction score
Me and five makers have recently taken on a not-for-profit cooperative (Real Wood Studios) in the Scottish Borders which comprises a sawmill and workshops.

We have stock of beech, sycamore and birch which we would like to clear out and are prepared to sell off at low prices. The first packs of beech have been put into the kiln already and will be dried in about five weeks.

Does anyone know who may be interested in buying up this stock in large-ish quantities?

Any pointers or leads will be much appreciated.

I'd be interested in some prices, and possibly would buy in fairly large amounts, depending on what haulage rates i can get.

Also where is the wood located, do you have large vehicle access and loading facilities ect.

Regards

Andy

I am sure that there are people on this forum who will buy some of the wood. I travel from West Midlands to Yorkshire (John Boddy's) when I need to get oak. If the price was right, I would travel further and I do like sycamore. As I do not have a van I can only carry about 6 - 7 cu ft in the back of the car. Again for the right price and quality you may find that a number of people would club together and hire a van.

Bob

I'd be interesting if we could get a group buy for this area

Thank you for your interest, chaps! Thanks also to the forum moderator for letting me use the forum in this way, too.

I stress we are a not-for-profit cooperative that needs to convert some stock into cash and I thought the members of this forum may be able to benefit from some cut price hardwoods.

Anyway, to your questions....

Where are we?
Just outside Jedburgh. There's a map on our website www.realwoodstudios.com It's one and a half hours north of Newcastle.

Vehicle access?
Yes, artic lorries can easily get in and out and we have a big fork lift for loading.

Quantities?
As I said, we've loaded up the first kiln which will be fully dried in about five weeks time. I can get rough volumes of what's in there in the meantime, as well as a rough idea of what volumes of the other timber will be going in after this. We'd be happy to get orders for small (car size) orders or small, and we're likely to be able to do a better price for higher volumes.

Pricing?
Again we are looking at these but I can say it will be significantly cheaper than prices you might typically pay at Boddies and other timber retailers. We'll let you know asap - I'd have a guess now but we're a cooperative so we need to discuss it as a group and agree on it!

Quality?
When the first kiln comes out we'll photograph samples, but generally the quality is good - it's same stuff that we use to make furniture for customers. Most has been air dried for a long time (2 years plus) before kilning. Most of it is Scottish.

Direct contact?
You can get me on [email protected] if you have any specific questions which you'd prefer to ask directly and I'll do my best to answer them. Having said that I'm happy to answer public questions on this thread too.

Keep the message postings coming!

Would you look into shipping small amounts?

wizer":w3zczguh said:
Would you look into shipping small amounts?

We sell the vast majority of our wood on a collect basis. We're a small independent sawmill so any shipping from our site is usually arranged by the customer.

However, we'd be happy to recommend local carriers for you and depending in the size of the order even do some of the arranging too.

I'm a comfortable travelling distance from Jedburgh. Do you have timber available for viewing for a car load of people to buy. I'm thinking of a local hardwood sawmill I know who has a portacabin full of planked timber as his selling area.

And I suppose the next question is what form is the wood going to be - planked, what thickness, wainy edged, suitable for turning ?

Cheers
OW

Ross,

I'd be interested in talking to you about regular supplies. I've been thinking for a long time about moving over to native timber for much of my work in the interests of my carbon footprint and as my contribution to the UK's balance of payments.

I also see it as a selling point.

I may well have a day out soon. You're only two and a half hours away.

Cheers
Brad

OldWood":5tyh8s5z said:
what form is the wood going to be - planked, what thickness, wainy edged, suitable for turning ?
Cheers
OW

The wood was planked and then air dried for 1 to 2 years on average. Board thickness is generally "thick" (ie 40 to 50mm) with some square edged and some waney. I would say that most of it is suitable for turning given its thickness and the fact that it's generally tight-grained slow growing timber.

Please bear with us as we need to check and record such details for each lot as it comes out of the yard and into the kiln. I'll be meeting with our sawmill manager this coming week and I'll see if I can give you more info on what's out in the yard soon.

Latest posts

Back