Help Making Measuring Drawers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to a make a few drawers, not something I've done before. I have a unit 675 mm high by 500 mm wide. How do I measure for the drawers, and do I need to buy the
runners first? Any help will be much appreciated :)

if you use blum runners, they have pages of technical diagrams for each product showing the products dimensions and giving you equations to work out the drawer size.

speak to ldl, they are the cheapest and are very professional. with prompt delivery.

nathan

whenever I have made drawers I have been aware of the size of my runners first, whether they be preformed ones or homemade simple wooden strips

Thanks for replies gents, much appreciated. I'll purchase some runners before I go any further!

Very crude rule of thumb is make drawers one inch narrower than your drawer aperture for drawer slides, all bets of for face frame! Wish I had followed that first time I made drawers!

Before you go off and buy some drawer runners are you sure you can't use some wooden strips? Cheaper, you can make them yourself and much more satisfing than adding extra metal (or plastic) to a project.

mooed":1qsmwgld said:
Before you go off and buy some drawer runners are you sure you can't use some wooden strips? Cheaper, you can make them yourself and much more satisfing than adding extra metal (or plastic) to a project.

Already bought them mooed...Spent most of Sunday making the three drawers up, and will probably spend most of this week working out how to fit everything inside the unit!
I am beginning to think wooden strips would have been an easier option though...

Tim_H":2wgfurxx said:
Very crude rule of thumb is make drawers one inch narrower than your drawer aperture for drawer slides, all bets of for face frame! Wish I had followed that first time I made drawers!

Thanks Tim...I took the inside measurement minus the runners. I may have made one little mistake with the drawer fascia, which may need lowering a little. It was something I thought
of after locking up! Will find out Monday night if an adjustments are needed.

Good luck, I used bottom mounted slides, so I do not know if that one inch would work for other fittings!

How did you joint those drawers up? They look exactly like what I need to make but I can't see any fixings.

Thanks

WillyNelson":36lf5ioi said:
How did you joint those drawers up? They look exactly like what I need to make but I can't see any fixings.

Thanks

Hello Willy...I used pocket holes front and back, and 6 mm ply for the base which fits inside a rebate. Hope that's the correct term!
I should have images showing the work station for my table saw on line tomorrow night, you'll see the three finished draws in action :)

Back