hegner or excalibur ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I am getting a bit too old for the larger joinery stuff that I have been doing so I thought I'd maybe do what I always intended to do when I was very ancient :wink:
I love building houses so I always intended to get round to making replica's . I really fancy doing that.
Sooo I have a fair old budget and I really like the look of the excalibur but have read that people have had quality problems?
On the other hand I don't like the look of the Hegners at all but hear they are very very good.
(I'm easily influenced by the looks lol)

so I think I know what advice I'll get but hey ho you never know lol

Oh and do you think there is a market for Replica Houses as I think I'll soon fill the house up with them.

thanks

Mike

I've got a Hegner clone from Axminster and it uses the same blade change system as Hegner which I'm not fussed on at all. Maybe there's a knack to blade changes but I haven't learned it yet. Puts me off trying anything with a fair amount of inside cuts.

fwir, the Excalibur is great for blade changes/inside cuts but as you say, some reports of less reliability than the Hegner. Many Excalibur users with no problems though. If I had a fair budget and wanted to do replica/dolls houses, I'd get both plus a set of Trend dolls house bits for the router table. I'd use the Hegner as a workhorse and the Excalibur for inside cuts.

Best way to check the market is to look on the bay at completed listings and see what people actually spend money on.

I can recommend 'Flying Dutchman' blades. Made in Germany but it's easier to order them from the USA. Go figure...

hegner all the way had one for 3 years and make all my craft work that I sell , was considering a excalbur but I know couple of people had problems with them the American green ones are better quality but the newer ones as with everything theses days quality goes down and price goes up.

the blade changing on hegner is fine if you have the quick release blade clamp makes it very quick

have you got this john ? if you havent will make a lot of difference to the speed of threading through hole in work for internal cutting

the bigger deltas a good too but they don't import to this country anymore and they are as rare as rocking horse s..t on ebay

mark

Another vote for Hegner. I'm over the moon with mine and the quick clamp makes internal cuts easy.
When I returned my AWFS18 Axminster asked me if I would be interested in an Excalibur but after I mentioned the quality issues even the manager I spoke to conceded that there were problems with the Uk model.
Look for posts by Chippygeoff re: the Excalibur.

From viewing 3 sites, I would say Hegner, closely followed by Excalbur. (if the Excaliber is the same over here as the model in the US) are the preferred ones, although a lot of guys in the US say they use Dewalt 877 (not 100% sure if 877 is the right no)

no the model isn't the same or they may be doing the same white model in as in uk the older green ones were manufactured in usa I think and far superior quality

mark

Thank you for all your replies.
It's not what I wanted to hear as I really like the features on the Excalibur but I have been warned now lol.

Thanks again

Mike

Another vote for Hegner, blade change/inside cuts not a problem.
But do get a variable speed model if you are going to get one, as it is not an update option.

Take care.

Chris R.

Looking around I can't find many places that sell them. a few on Ebay and a multicut 1 on Amazon !

Gary Morris":3r6rtqvb said:
there was one for sale here a few days ago.

Just had a look thanks
It's collection only in the deep south lol and i'm in the far North of Norfolk :)

here you go mike

http://www.hegner.co.uk/

all you need is here :shock:

and john you will find the quick release blade clamp here

http://www.hegner.co.uk/Quick-Clamp-for-Piercework

people think the only difference is its got a knob instead of using the clock key but its more than that the slot dosent go the whole way through thus allowing your blade to rest against a definate stop so takes away the guess work of aligning the blade if that makes sense

mark

I got a Multicut 1from Hegner and had them fit it with a variable speed and its a real beauty . I don't get the chance to use it as much as I would like but when I do it is magic .With the proper blades it is a joy to use.I have an other saw which is a hegner clone and is about 20yrs. old from what I can figure out and twice as heavy as the new one it works perfectly but has no V/S . I intend to fit to take pinless blades and quick release fittings soon as I get things sorted . You will enjoy a Multicut . Best of luck .

I also have the old Multicut 1, could not afford the variable speed at the time.Eugene please post the cost of the conversion to variable speed.It might be still too much for me to do but would like to see the cost.

Bryan. :roll:

bryan you cant convert at a later date I think what Eugene means is he ordered multi cut 1 with variable speed they advise on hegner website that it cannot be added later the mul 1 with variable speed is 550 approx.

Eugene did you get my message about my postage details :D

mark

Thanks Mark It has not been a problem for me being a single speed and has done everything I wanted to do.I have done projects that never thought that I would be able to do.

Bryan

Back