Hegner Multicut 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Martin - I was a bit shaky for a good few minutes afterwards, as I really didn't expect to win it! Bit of a good fortune as I have a favourite Aunt who lives in Weston Turville, just outside Aylesbury, so picking the saw up on Sunday Morning then off for a spot of free lunch. Bonus!

Congratulations Philjohn, hope you have many years of enjoyment with your Hegner . Winning an auction must feel like winning the lotto except in this case you have to payout . :lol: :lol:

Thank you Eugene - haha you're right there. I've bought all of my tools from the auction site over the last few months and to be honest, I don't know if my nerves will hold out much longer! I've managed to get some real bargains but plenty of disappointments along the way too. I'll be glad when it's all done and I'm up and running.

With rergards to gumtree, too good to be true sometimes, i picked up a hegner multicut 1 ( the older model, with the white pipe and tension knob at the back) for £90, the table had a few cut marks where the blade goes through the table blade probably wasnt tensioned properly too much pressure on the blade that sort of thing.
It was used by kids in a school technology department (the school was going to be demolished and the teacher took it out as the new building was getting new equiptment)
The bellows were compressed and needed stretching out again, but other than that it was hardly used, came with the hegner stand and a hegner foot switch.

It was listed on gumtree as hegner saw with no images and little description, i used about £20 petrol but what a bargain.

As for up grades i am awaiting a pipe i have on order http://www.amazon.co.uk/Length-Nozzle-P ... olant+pipe (coming from china so might be a while) so i can upgrade the piping.
I have also made a quick release tensioner from a bicycle skewer ( wheel quick release ), had to use a couple of spacers but it works a treat and cost £3.50 rather than £38.

I kept bidding on ebay but was always outbid at the last minute, just shows never know when you will find a bargain, my advice to anybody looking for a specific make of saw is keep looking you will find one eventually, as if you buy a cheaper model you will probably only upgrade later at more expense.

adenyer":1hm8veuc said:
As for up grades i am awaiting a pipe i have on order http://www.amazon.co.uk/Length-Nozzle-P ... olant+pipe (coming from china so might be a while) so i can upgrade the piping.

I bought from the same seller, the pipe took 7 days to get here.

I have also made a quick release tensioner from a bicycle skewer ( wheel quick release ), had to use a couple of spacers but it works a treat and cost £3.50 rather than £38.

I kept bidding on ebay but was always outbid at the last minute, just shows never know when you will find a bargain, my advice to anybody looking for a specific make of saw is keep looking you will find one eventually, as if you buy a cheaper model you will probably only upgrade later at more expense.

If you are mechanically inclined enough to make alterations, you can make a cheap saw into a good saw as I have done with my Jet, though it has to be said my best mod was bolting it down to a really solid bench. (My bench has a 2"x2" square tube metal frame, with 1 1/2" thick wood topped with 1/4" steel plate.)

Got the saw home and I'm happy with it. I wasn't even intending bidding on it as I watched the bids rapidly rise to 260 quid, At the very end, on sudden impulse and literally 5 seconds from the auction end, I bid and got it for £265. It's an ex-school one, dated 2008, and the only things I could find wrong are trivial. It has a quick tension release and the pin has been replaced with a nail, and the blower pipe is missing. Neither are a problem. It also has the hold down arm with a switch bolted to it. In fact the switch is so handy, I think I am not going to bother with a foot switch. Just need to make a couple of knobs or handles to replace the clock key to make it a bit quicker to release and tighten the blade for piercing work.

Anyone want to buy a 2 or 3 month old Jet JSS16? fleabay/freeads/gumtree here I come. :D

Martin.

Cheers, Eugene! I still have some stuff I want to do with the saw, such as remove the arms and check the bearings. One would hope they were oiled regularly, but they look dry. There's more vibration than I expected. I made the Jet smoother, though the Hegner is much, much quieter. I might do away with the stand and bolt it to my bench. The saw, that is, not the stand. :roll:

I was looking at the price of spares on Hegner's website and they are disgustingly expensive. I could buy three 1/2HP motors for my lathe for the price of one variable speed motor for the Hegner. And the plastic bellows for the blower at 25.66 could be replaced by a car CV joint rubber boot for about a fiver. Still, like Rolls Royce, when you are top of the range, you get to charge whatever you want.

Martin, getting cynical in his dotage. :)

Back