Heavily Figured/Burr Hardwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Most if not all of the work I do requires good but plain wood, nothing fancy.

However, I have a couple of projects in mind for which I would like to use heavily figured wood, especially flamed or quilted maple, and burr (or burl, whatever!) walnut and chestnut (buckeye).

I know it may be hard to come across and will cost, but where would be the best place/ timber yard to start?

It is beyond the scope of the merchants I normally use, and I have no idea where to start! I have had a good look at the 'timber merchants map sticky' but to no avail. Is it a secret? [-( ](*,)

Cheers

Ellis

I have some English Ripple Ash if that's the sort of thing that may suit...

Chris.

In my experience it's a question of snaffling it when you find it and then hoarding.

A lot of merchants will find they shift a stack of straight grained timber easily but if there are a couple of figured boards in there they will end up left behind. If you let them know that you are on the lookout for figured stuff then they will probably put it to one side for you.

If you want really top notch quilted maple you would be had pushed to beat this guy. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MESELX:IT
He is not cheap mind, but he does have some of the best timber i have seen. He sells to makers as well as instrument makers. I see him now and again for bits and pieces. The last time i was there i know he had some wide 2" dry slabs of burr elm which was half the price of most sellers i have looked around at,wide rippled olive ash, 20" quartered oak, burr yew. He is only very small but aims to supply only the very best material. I do not go to many other places now when i am wanting something a bit special. He sent me a email last week to tell me he has just purchased another 12 foot 40" wide burr elm log from up north and will be cutting it soon and it will be priced to sell fresh of the saw to anyone that is interested. He keeps speaking of a website but as yet he has not got it up and running. another good place to visit is David Dykes in sussex, again mostly caters for instrument makers and makers wanting really top end material. If you want the best material it costs big money in the main or you have to be lucky and as suggested buy it when given the chance.

markymark12, Thanks for that, it's the kind of stuff I had in mind. If you don't mind me asking, does the ebay guy have a yard you can visit, or is it all mail order?

Thanks for the other replies as well, I have seen Timberline before, just need the time to organise a roadtrip!

Hi
He has recently moved into a small unit where he cuts and stores stuff. I used to visit him when he stored a lot of it in shipping containers before he moved recently. as i say he is very small, but what he does have is really top notch, stuff which does not make the grade for instruments is quite reasonable. I always give him a call to see if he can help as he is quite local to me. But i know he sends stuff all over europe.
If he cannot help he has often put me on to people that can, all in all very helpful.

Ah yes Wadkin1 often has some good stuff in, worth keeping an eye on. Have you considered using veneer for your project? You get a lot more choice and the costs are greatly reduced

Talking of figured timber, I'm looking for a thickish bit of stuff with decent or interesting grain pattern to go with some brown ash recently acquired. The plan is to use the ash for a small wall hung cabinet and I wanted the thick bit for the front to make a slightly curved door (planed from the solid, not coopered)...so what's going to compliment brown ash? Rippled ash, maple? - Rob

Back