Heads up - Wood and tool sale in Ledbury Sat 5th Jan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Not sure where this should go, so plumped for handtools.

There is an auction of wood and assorted tools in Ledbury, Herefordshire on Sat 5th Jan.

https://www.easyliveauction.com/auc...943D6FB01&action=1&rangepage=14&currentpage=1

I am planning to go and if anyone wants me to bid for anything, I am happy to do so, as long as you PM me clearly the lot number and the highest bid you are prepared to go to.
I assume there is buyer tax or some other jumped up charge, so if there is, I will expect you to meet this as well so I am not out of pocket.

I cannot promise anything, so I'll just do my best.

Greg

Greg, a very kind and attractive offer that I'm struggling to resist :) trouble is, I've got no idea how much slab wood goes for, so I can't make any reasonable guesses. If I wasn't in work tomorrow, I might have driven down. If you get anything (and you will I'm sure ;) ), I'd be interested to see how much things go for as a reference for next time.

Enjoy!

There's some interesting stuff there, Greg.

I have registered to attend the auction on-line. If I took my Landy down in anticipation of buying some pieces of wood, I would spend £50 in fuel. If I bid online, I will have to pay transport costs, but if the auction prices are stupidly high, which often happens, I will not incur any cost.

Thanks for the offer of bidding on forum members behalf - you are very trusting that you will get your money from people!!

Thanks for the heads up Greg

..but hell, that could be dangerous...If I bidded online & only won 1 thing it'd not be economical to go collect it.. so I'd have to win a fair bit to make it worth my while..that's where the danger is. I might also forget the additional charges (VAT & various commissions etc).

I would like 1 or 5 things but I'd not want to waste your time with unrealistic offers... also not sure you'd like to lug a few bench vices home either...but it's a very kind offer.

Have you been to tool auctions before ? are there real bargains to be had?

henton49er":1nnd69sl said:
There's some interesting stuff there, Greg.

I have registered to attend the auction on-line. If I took my Landy down in anticipation of buying some pieces of wood, I would spend £50 in fuel. If I bid online, I will have to pay transport costs, but if the auction prices are stupidly high, which often happens, I will not incur any cost.

Thanks for the offer of bidding on forum members behalf - you are very trusting that you will get your money from people!!

Mike,

If you bid online and get something - if you are allowed to authorise me, I'd be happy to bring it as far as Stourbridge, (as long as it fits in an average estate car!!)

Regarding bidding - seems a pretty decent bunch on here - you have to take a chance on people's integrity as far as I am concerned. (I can always name and shame any non-payers :? )

Togalosh / Greg,

On reading the auction specs, by bidding remotely you would be agreeing to the auction house sending the stuff to you "at the buyers cost". So, not only is there a 10% (+VAT = 12%) Buyers Premium, and 3% commission going to EasyLiveAuction.com (probably +VAT as well), but there will be unknown (and probably unchallengeable) transport costs. So, an item costing me £100 hammer price will total £115.60 before transport costs are added in - unless the item itself attracts VAT as some of them do when a £100 hammer price will be £135.60 plus transport costs (I am assuming that the Buyers premium and auction commission are not levied on the VAT).

Greg, your offer to bring items as far north as Stourbridge is very appealing, but I am not sure how this could be done (Stourbridge is the same distance from my home in Newtown as Ledbury is, as well!!). If you could PM me your name and address, I will take it up with the auction house in the morning and see if they are OK with it. If you are contactable by phone during the day, that would be helpful too, so I could let you know of any successful lot numbers. I am not looking to buy any large machinery items, but some of the timber boards are quite long. Perhaps you should also give me a maximum length you are happy to transport, just in case.

Evening Fellows and Fellowesses,

Quite an interesting auction, all in all - and particulalry nice to see Paul Hannaby there too. (Big thanks for the DVD, Paul :ho2 )

Some of the larger planks went for a fortune - over £100 for some. I actually met a sawmill owner who was selling some of it and he reckoned he's made about £2,000 today - Seems the right business to be in!

I didn't do so well. I managed a vice for Steve 'Togalosh' under budget, though I am not sure how, as most were creeping upwards well above what he and I expected. I am not a handtool knowledgable guy, but a few planes were topping the £100 mark and some pretty mediocre clamps and vices were tens of pounds each.

Likewise, Mike did OK online bidding, but again a lot went for silly money.

My only prize was a solid alu worktop jig that retails at £195 - All mine for the princely sum of £17 including commission :D

So, that's all folks - sorry no really exciting toys.

Greg

Hiya Greg,

Just realised my phones been off - sorry. I got your text & I'm glad you enjoyed it even if it wasn't rich pickings for you.

A vise is a result for me chief ! I'll be in touch to pop across to collect it asap.

I'm surprised at people paying silly money for stuff though...perhaps it's easy to get carried away with it all.

Back