Hasty Christmas presents

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
A week before Christmas, daughter in the USA requested a pair of pitch pine finials, to grace a pitch pine bed frame which her husband has yet to make. The reclaimed piece of pitch pine that came to hand gave rise to a lot of 6mm offcuts, so the idea of a parquetry tray appealed to her. The odd finial in the middle was a trial to see which proportions were preferred. Now just need to wait for the US Post Office to clear its 3 month backlog before sending them over.
The little elm bowl was even more hasty, in response to an unexpected favour on Christmas Eve.

Attachments

• Tray plus.JPG
    Tray plus.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Elm bowl.JPG
    Elm bowl.JPG
    249.8 KB · Views: 65
Thanks, Andy. Daughter's first house in Adlington was all pitch pine, she got hooked on it and it's followed them to Michigan. I'm ambivalent about it; can look a bit gaudy, and its brittleness doesn't help if you attempt any fine detail.
Been away from the forum for quite a while with something of a heap of health issues, for both me and my wife, so woodwork has rather taken a back seat. Just about to start on the journey of radiotherapy for prostate cancer, so my reappearance may be brief!

Thanks, Andy. Daughter's first house in Adlington was all pitch pine, she got hooked on it and it's followed them to Michigan. I'm ambivalent about it; can look a bit gaudy, and its brittleness doesn't help if you attempt any fine detail.
Been away from the forum for quite a while with something of a heap of health issues, for both me and my wife, so woodwork has rather taken a back seat. Just about to start on the journey of radiotherapy for prostate cancer, so my reappearance may be brief!
Sorry to hear of the health issues for yourself and your wife Dick. Really hoping all is resolved in short time.
You both have my very best wishes for the New Year ahead.
Andy

@dickm my deepest condolences and best wishes with treatment. I have just had 2 rounds of chemo and radio therapy over the course of the last year and was recently given the all clear and am now considered to be in full remission. First follow up appt is next week. It is hard to go through especially if you are an active person, but do not be afraid to contact people for help or advice. The McMillan trust are superb. If you ever want to talk about it with someone who has gone through it just give me a shout and more than happy to help where i can.

All the best

Back