Has anyone got a woodwork bench for Sale?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'd second making your own.

It doesn't need to be complicated and there are a series of Videos on on the subject in Paul Seller's You-tube .......................

https://www.youtube.com/user/PaulSeller ... shelf_id=1

..........................that specifically show you how to make a basic bench without a workshop, using basic tools and techniques, all by hand.
You need to separate them out from all the rest of the stuff, but worth a watch as it seems to answer all your questions.

On the other hand, new ready-made benches are available to buy, but often very expensive. Second hand old-style school benches are also not cheap.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for suggestions. I've considered making but know that good old benches come up from time to time and will probably wait for one to come up soon. I just missed one on ebay yesteday which was exactly what I wanted

Use an old door on some trestles and you'll soon figure out exactly what you require for your ' proper' bench. Unless budgets an issue I'd say make one as well ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I have a couple of vices going spare, (note to self must go to church more) if you end up making your own.

I made mine from 4x2 CLS for the legs and framework, 18mm ply for the top with some 6mm MDF for the work surface. If you want I can send you pictures of how I made it.

Baldhead

In that case ebay is probably your best bet. Even if a member had one chances are it wouldn't be economically viable to transport. I struck lucky with two engineering benches, they were pretty disgusting when they arrived but cleaned up well and I learnt a lot about planing in the process.

Athertonian this may be a long shot but try your local education department again county hall, years ago I had a friend who worked in the school stores, they often sold ex school stock for peanuts, worth a try.

Baldhead

My ex school bench came from Education for all. If I remember right it was £30 which included 2 Record 53e vices. All I had to do was raise it a bit as I'm 6'2 and your average school kid isn't. Definitely worth £30, give them a call got to be worth an ask if they are still getting any.

Mark

You've probably made the right decision to buy rather than build. Firstly because building a bench isn't complicated but it's a heavy job if you're single handed (I know I've done it more than once) and it's certainly not cheap once the wood and fittings are costed. Secondly because there are some stunning used bargains out there, providing you can collect.

But you'll need to be patient and you'll need to be aware of the pitfalls,

1. There's a misguided view that old record vices go on forever. They don't. They rack, sag, the quick release wears out, and they suffer from installation problems. Tail vices are even worse! So don't just assume the vices will be okay, once a beefy fitter with a tommy bar extension has mis-used a vice to press fit a bearing it's unlikely to ever be the same again.

2. Tops get chewed up. Not a problem in itself if you can resurface it, but beware the bench that's twisted or thick with grease and swarf, and generally looks like it's been used for metalwork.

A good workbench makes woodworking much more efficient and satisfying, fine examples are out there at cracking prices, but you'll have to persevere to find one. Good luck.

Thanks Custard. One of the most helpful contributions. You are right about the pleasure of working on a good bench versus a wreck and as I am using it for making a viola it is particularly important that I can rely on the rigidity of the bench.

Hi Athertonian,

I do have a workbench that I am thinking of selling. It is an Axminster own brand one - no longer a current model but if you look at their website / catalogue I would say visually it looks similar to their D2 bench although it is a lot bigger (approx 700 W x 1600 L) and probably lies between this range and their more expensive 'AS' range. It is made from solid beech and has both tail and face vices with a row of bench dog holes along the front. It is pretty sturdy, I decided to update the original base and made my own out of solid beech so it has quite a bit of weight to it. It also has a tool well running along the back.

I don't tend to use it anymore as I have moved more towards power tools and am now doing a workshop clear up! Have not advertised it yet but saw your post. I live just outside Winchester so not miles away from you (I think).

Perhaps pm me if this sounds of interest and I'll send you some photos.

Good luck,

Paul

Back