Has anybody tried a trend t8 router yet? + trend t8 vs triton tra001

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heynow

Reaction score
I'm not sure how long it's been out or how it stacks up, but whilst looking for a good deal on a trend t10 or dewalt dw625 router I noticed one I hadn't seen before, the trend t8, and it looks pretty feature packed

afaik the t7 was "meh" and I figured it would just be a slight upgrade to it motor wise, but the t8 sounds more like tritons routers than the usual elu/dewalt ripoffs that're out there

anybody with some hands on experience have some opinions?
and how about the t8 vs tra001/jof001 or stick to my original plan of buying a dw625 for 90% table use

ta!

I've been looking at this router too to use with a table I like the fact I don't need to by a router lift but I want to know the dimensions so see whether it will fit under my table but can't find them anywhere. Any ideas?

Yes, I worked for a large company that went through several T10s/T11s, T4s, T3s, T-Techs... I'm not sure why they kept buying the damn things as they were costing a fortune because they would last at best a couple of months before something went wrong, but they would buy in bulk so they were getting a good deal. This was a fair while ago now and they still maintain that reputation for lack of reliability.

Have you looked at the dewalt 625 ? For table use I would seriously look at a lift and router motor as the number one choice otherwise the Triton TRA001 which is ideal as a table router.

I liked the idea of a router with built in above table adjustment to save on buying a router lift as these cost the same again as a router for a decent one and the dewalt 625 doesn't have that unless it could be adapted in anyway. Also I still may want to remove from table and use as a handheld router.

It looks like the trend and dewalts are very similar and apparently dewalt make the trends for them so strange that the trends are so unreliable as said by Adjust the Grain.

Looking at the 625 the new dwe625 has a terrible depth stop adjustment although this would t really be required for table usage. Would you say the older dw625 would be perfectly adequate for router table use although only 2000w but cheaper now the new model is out.

I must admit the Triton look like toys but maybe looks are deceiving as at the end of the day for table use so long as got a good strong reliable motor with above table depth adjustment that's all I need really. Do these have a good reputation?

It looks like the trend and dewalts are very similar and apparently dewalt make the trends for them so strange that the trends are so unreliable as said by Adjust the Grain.

Trend have their own specification for the routers from the factory in China, it’s actually a lower standard router than what DeWalt produces but generally Trend charge more for it. This has been the case for 30 years now, but the difference was that Trend had very good marketing decades ago as they practically owned British Woodworking Magazine advertising and had a massive sway over what articles were published to showcase projects that included the use of their routers and bits, they don’t have that today as barely anyone reads those magazines anymore and they’ve really fallen behind with the times.

Both 80mm plunge - check
Soft start - check
Etc etc - check

Where the triton excels is in things like the wind up handle, the fact you can remove the plunge spring, meaning winding it up- either via the handle on the machine while reaching under the table, or with a through winder is considerably easier, in that you dont have the spring adding negative resistance to what youre trying to do.
Another feature is the safety lock on the no/off switch, meaning when the switch is on you cannot engage the spindle lock, and lets face it, we can all easily forget to do something like that and if you try to switch on with the lock in place, thats going to damage the machine. also on the on/off switch theres a very handy spring loaded cover which means you cannot accidentally switch it on.

Overall they are both very similar, with the triton having the extra safety features on the switch lock and spindle lock. I especially like the way that when you wind the cutter all the way up, the spindle automatically locks, and its a one switch operation when in the table rather than a clip used in the trend to hold the hand grip switch in the on position. but on the trend i really dont like(or any other router) the way you could accidentally start it when changing the cutter.

TBH I dont think theres that much in it

Last edited:
It is also possible to add a Router Raiser to a DW625 and have a wind up. Add a Muscle Chuck for an above-router table facility. The DeWalt is a far more reliable router than the Triton. The DW is the official offspring of the Elu 177e (I have two of these, one in my router table), which is among the finest large routers made. My Elus are 40 years old and running strong.

Router raiser and Muscle Chuck ...

Handles removed as unnecessary in this set up ...

3.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

It is also possible to add a Router Raiser to a DW625 and have a wind up. Add a Muscle Chuck for an above-router table facility. The DeWalt is a far more reliable router than the Triton. The DW is the official offspring of the Elu 177e (I have two of these, one in my router table), which is among the finest large routers made. My Elus are 40 years old and running strong.

Router raiser and Muscle Chuck ...

Handles removed as unnecessary in this set up ...

3.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek
Thanks Derek, by a raiser do you mean a dedicated lift for a plunge router such like jess em do or do you mean adapt it so it has a built in winder like the triton and trend?

All it takes is for Trend to request a cost reduction and then Dewalt could oblige by using lower quality components and material because it does not have their name on it so not a problem for them.

Another feature is the safety lock on the no/off switch, meaning when the switch is on you cannot engage the spindle lock, and lets face it, we can all easily forget to do something like that and if you try to switch on with the lock in place, thats going to damage the machine. also on the on/off switch theres a very handy spring loaded cover which means you cannot accidentally switch it on.

It is very easy to just fit a muscle chuck, then remove the spindle lock plunger and spring which gives you extra height. This change is done externally so no problems and then you can remove the switch interlock so you can leave the switch always on and fit an easily accessable switch which means no more fumbling under the table which is really helpful if you are say at the end of a cut and need to turn the router off before removing the workpiece.

Thanks, £90 for a few bits and pieces but a damn site cheaper than a router lift. What insert plate do you use? I assume any would work so long as has correct mounting holes for the chosen router and then you need to drill the hole for the height adjustment yourself?

I'm now considering selling my router table set-up, as I no longer use it. It comprises a shop-built 'roll-around' cabinet/table with a Triton TRA mounted in a Kreg insert, a UJK fence with fine adjustment plus a collection of various cutters & feather boards. I'll be waiting for - or should I say - hoping for warmer & finer weather before doing anything; as I need to have a good clear up & get the machine out, cleaned up, & photographed. I need, also, to think of a reasonable price to ask, any ideas anyone? I would do a quick photo, but it's not easy to get to at the mo.

I know it doesn't answer the original question, but the Makita 2301 has the facility for above table adjustment built in without any extra purchases. Coupled with a muscle chuck I find it ideal table mounted.

Any idea where one could buy a Router Raizer in the UK? The only one I could find was on amazon and was out of stock...

I know it doesn't answer the original question, but the Makita 2301 has the facility for above table adjustment built in without any extra purchases. Coupled with a muscle chuck I find it ideal table mounted.
Obviously you have one so know but it looks as though to me it's just a long threaded knob to wind the router down and for fine adjustment and to reduce the plunge depth. How is it used from above a table?

A word of caution regarding Trend routers in a table. I normally use a triton in my table but I briefly used my T10 and it stopped working very quickly. Im fairly certain the 625 is the same router. I posted it about here so if you want to check my older threads.
i didn’t get any replies on the issue but I found a thread on here from about 2012 which described the same problem I had. That thread was actually pertaining to the T11 which is labelled as being especially suited for table use. They discovered the problem.
I sent mine back as I hadn’t had it long, got a replacement and an email saying the problem we suffered can be caused by blowing compressed air in the intake vents (near the collet) or using it inverted. I’m Not sure if the newer models suffer the same issue but it’s worth considering.
i keep the trend for hand held use only now

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/router-woes-anyone-else-with-a-t10-t11-or-dw625-had-this.57533/
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/trend-t10-speed-problem.144784/

Back