Happy happy happy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittyhawk

Established Member
Reaction score
In the WIP on building the P51 Mustang I mentioned that in over 50 models I had never made an engine exhaust that was more or less acceptable. Now in the final stages of a couple of Wellingtons, and I'm content.
IMG_20210820_160757.jpg

The Mk.1V had a flame retardant exhaust system referred to as the 'Christmas tree.'

Did you receive the deposit for the Lancaster!

They look so good!!

Cheers James
Ps I didn't send a deposit only kidding!

Did you receive the deposit for the Lancaster!

They look so good!!

Cheers James
Ps I didn't send a deposit only kidding!
Lancaster.JPG

That reminds me of a story about the Lancaster above.
I got an order from a chap who wanted it because he said some relative of his was flight crew on one. He was a bit short of the readies and said he would pay for it on his payday so I sent it off to him anyway - and never heard from him again. Wife doesn't let me forget it but I don't care, I got done but so what. One out of 50 odd is ok and I rather trust people than not. And a number of my customers have become good friends. I hope the guy with the Lanc gets pleasure from it.

How long does it take to make them?
It's hard to say because there's a lot of time lost in waiting for epoxy and teak oil to cure - but from go to whoa is around two weeks but out of that I estimate about 25 - 30 hours actual work. Building wooden aeroplane models is only a hobby but it pays its way. After expenses I estimate I make about £2/hour.

It's hard to say because there's a lot of time lost in waiting for epoxy and teak oil to cure - but from go to whoa is around two weeks but out of that I estimate about 25 - 30 hours actual work. Building wooden aeroplane models is only a hobby but it pays its way. After expenses I estimate I make about £2/hour.

yeah but it puts money back in to build more.

And you don’t end up with a house full of them!

fantastic work, as somebody who has spent most his working life doing woodwork as a career, I don’t know if I could ever transition to a hobby, but I love looking at the amazing work on this forum by those who do.

I estimate about 25 - 30 hours actual work. Building wooden aeroplane models is only a hobby but it pays its way. After expenses I estimate I make about £2/hour.

Jeez. Can you do a run of say 4 or 5 at a time? That would probably be a better ratio in time/ money..... and you definitely won't struggle to sell them!

Jeez. Can you do a run of say 4 or 5 at a time? That would probably be a better ratio in time/ money..... and you definitely won't struggle to sell them!
Yes, that's the way it works, there are normally about 4 on the go at any one time which as you suggest, eliminates the down time. But on the other hand I like a hobby and not a job and if I was an employed person my work ethic would have earned me the sack by now.
I only build to order and my customers are a great bunch of people and are accepting of my laid back work habits. Sometimes I get a bee in my bonnet about a particular aeroplane that I want to have a go at building for my own enjoyment - this is the case with a Sopwith Camel after I finish the Wellingtons. I have put out the word to my client base and the Camel is pre-sold already. You can't have it any better than that!
Concerning modelling in wood, I have often thought that the thing to do and earn a decent amount of money as well is to model vintage cars. I know that there is a large market for them and people are willing to pay as a car model approximately the same size as my aeroplane models would represent a much larger scale and be therefore a lot more detailed. I have heard dollar numbers around the thousand mentioned.
Not for me hough because I cannot muster even the slightest interest in cars.

😂 for 20 times the money, you could pretend to be interested 😆
As you say though, as a hobby it doesn't really matter. I have no doubt you would sell all that you make.....

My wife used to make pens before becoming a pen blank maker. A gent in Texas ordered a few pens made of antler, paid right away and even extra to have them couriered faster. Ordered the second time and again paid quick. Third time was a bigger order and then nothing. He gave the usual checks in the mail etc stuff before going silent. She realized he scammed her and she posted about it in a pen forum. Another Texan volunteered to collect the money for her. He went to the RV dealership where the rat bag worked and the guy's wife went in. She went straight up to him and said she was there to collect. Now I don't know how scary the guy's wife is or if the rat bag didn't like being embarrassed in front of staff but he immediately paid her and she left. My wife got paid right away and has been friends with them since. Maybe you need someone's wife to have a talk with the guy that screwed you. 😉

The exhaust looks good.

Pete

Back