Hand plane book - Hack vs Schwarz?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_southward

Established Member
Reaction score
I was planning on getting a book on hand planes, and wondered if there were any views on here one way or another for the two main alternatives I've seen so far: The Handplane Book, Garrett Hack; Handplane essentials, Christopher Schwarz. Both have good reviews on Amazon and I do rather like Schwarz's writing style (I enjoy the Anarchist's Tool chest) and would probably just go for that, but it is coming up with ridiculous used prices at the moment. Actually I've just re-checked the prices - yesterday the cheapest second hand option was about £34 (which I might have accepted) - today it's an eye-watering £80!

Does anyone think this book is worth it? Looks like it'll be the Garrett Hack book after all - unless there are any other suggestions?

If you were in the states, and you lived near me, I'd give you the hack book.

I don't know what would be worth even $35 in either book.

+1 for Planecraft.
It's Record planes discribed, but it covers all the adjustments found on equvilent Stanley models.
Also get a later version, I've got 1959 seventh impression, no ISBN number unfortunatly.

Bod

Come on guys.

Garrett Hacks book is a classic, hardback, filled with beautiful photos and a huge volume of sound advice and knowledge. It is almost encyclopedic in the range of handplanes covered.

The Chris Schwarz book is also excellent and presents a vast volume of personal experience.

Planecraft is a different kettle of fish. The advice on square edge planing is laughable. page 68 "hold the plane at right angles to the face. The right hand pushes the plane. Test with straight edge and try square in all positions, and when correct you have planed the face edge."

It is generally sound but Hampton was not a craftsman.

Perhaps the best plan is to get all three.

David C":1ttgm7sz said:
Come on guys.

Garrett Hacks book is a classic, hardback, filled with beautiful photos and a huge volume of sound advice and knowledge. It is almost encyclopedic in the range of handplanes covered.

The Chris Schwarz book is also excellent and presents a vast volume of personal experience.

Planecraft is a different kettle of fish. The advice on square edge planing is laughable. page 68 "hold the plane at right angles to the face. The right hand pushes the plane. Test with straight edge and try square in all positions, and when correct you have planed the face edge."

It is generally sound but Hampton was not a craftsman.

Perhaps the best plan is to get all three.

What?!? Absorb information from multiple sources? Why next you will be advocating that people actually experiment for themselves and learn something. Madness!

Thanks for the responses. It seems that the planecraft book comes in many different editions and guises (and seemingly, authors) - so it is a bit confusing as to which to go for. I did see a new re-print on Amazon also. I think I'll go with the Hack book for now as I'm a sucker for pretty photography!

I have the Garrett Hack book, I haven't read it thoroughly as yet but from what I have read it has been very educational. I would definately recommend buying it, but perhaps not for £80.

I bought mine from Amazon in the Summer, I paid £16.00 (+ postage)

David

rwyoung":2o5kcg6m said:
Why next you will be advocating that people actually experiment for themselves and learn something. Madness!

Yeah, because learning from someone knowledgeable is a terrible idea...

Wait, what?!

BugBear

Get Robt. Wearing's Handtools for Woodworkers if it's your intention to learn how to use hand planes and other tools for woodworking. Follow this up with Planecraft then Hack's book.

Ian Kirby has also done an excellent series of how-to stuff in Woodworker's Journal. Here's how to plane an edge (since a previous poster brought it up):

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/hand- ... int-edges/

He covers other basic plane handling topics in other articles.

Kirby's Woodworking's Critical Path CD is great for beginners:

http://www.rockler.com/the-way-to-woodw ... rs-journal

matt_southward":3046cwjy said:
I was planning on getting a book on hand planes, and wondered if there were any views on here one way or another for the two main alternatives I've seen so far: The Handplane Book, Garrett Hack; Handplane essentials, Christopher Schwarz. Both have good reviews on Amazon and I do rather like Schwarz's writing style (I enjoy the Anarchist's Tool chest) and would probably just go for that, but it is coming up with ridiculous used prices at the moment. Actually I've just re-checked the prices - yesterday the cheapest second hand option was about £34 (which I might have accepted) - today it's an eye-watering £80!

Does anyone think this book is worth it? Looks like it'll be the Garrett Hack book after all - unless there are any other suggestions?

I agree with David C - Garrett Hack's book is a classic on all types of handplanes. It is a reference encyclopaedia. I have not read Chris Schwartz' book, so cannot comment there.

As for the other books recommended here, they are not about hand plane history and classification; they are about using hand planes and other hand tools.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I guess we all have different expectations from literature. I've found most of the modern stuff to be a poor teacher except to do enough to get you in the shop and going. In the stride to productivity, what's done in subtlety between hand and brain doesn't always relate the same way the text makes us think it would.

Things like carving and design are different, where we might not make very good decisions without texts.

I've still got a stack of books that i'd give to anyone who showed up at my door, and the hack book is among that stack. Many of the other taunton compilation books are included in that, too (the ones that look sort of like an agglomeration of articles from FWW - though bits and pieces of those are good, too, and certainly the information is more concentrated than it is in the magazines - especially now, when I can't figure out exactly what the magazines satisfy these days).

(I do find wearings book very good, and the same goes for some of the books that Chris Schwarz publishes that other people wrote - like the book on mouldings, etc).

David, I think the preference differences are caused by interpretations of the OP's request. Does he want a book about hand planes, or how to use hand planes?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the Chris Schwartz Handplane Essentials, which is pretty good. I always think when I'm reading it or dipping in to it though, that the photos could've been either a little clearer or in colour. But that's a personal thing. His book is a compilation of a few years of Popular Woodworker articles.

The way Christopher Schwartz writes is very clear and easy to understand - an extremely knowledgeable and experienced guy.

Regards

Jonny

I'd say no to the op's question about the cs book then and wearing instead of hack.

Nothing will be as good as a desired result at the bench and the drive to achieve it without getting focused on a particular source.

I have the Hack book. It's more of a good-looking reference book rather than a guide to using planes. It's a good book to have if you want a sprinkling of history, the variety of planes around, how they work etc. There are other books such as Wearing's, Watson's which are more suited to the user who wants to improve their technique.

My biggest fault with Hack's book is that it has a soft cover, so it can get a little frayed at the edges after a while. But I've met Garret Hack and he's an excellent woodworker and teacher, and very helpful too.

Back