Hammer Drill Advice Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike B

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone please advise me as to what sort of hammer drill I need for breaking up some concrete/terrazzo floors (only about an inch or so thick) and for removing tiles, tiles both wall and floor as part of a house renovation.

Would I get away with a multi hammer SDS drill like a Metabo KHE28 (0-1000 rpm, 1010 W, 0 - 2,5 J hammer, rotation stop etc) or do I need something bigger??

Ideally, I would like something along the lines of the KHE28 as it would double up as a good masonry drill as well (this is only an "amateur" project!)

Any advise gratefully received.

Thanks
Mike

Hi
I have been using a blue Bosch SDS drill at 3.0j from axmister to punch a few holes for 100mm waste pipes through brick. the drill copes really well and I think it would not have a problem going through 1" concrete. If not then look at the sizes above and there are a lot of used hilti breakers on ebay that go for under a 100 pound http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HILTI-TE15-11...611859183QQcategoryZ67240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mike

I would recommend hiring a light breaker. They cost buttons to hire whereas the kind of drill you are talking about, while capable of this sort of thing,probably isn't up to the amount you will ask of it. I trashed a really nice AEG one doing this a couple of years ago - just overheated it and killed it!

Cheers

Tim

You need to look at SDS or SDSplus drills,rather than hammer action (which is normally just percussion)
I have a £30 cheapy SDSplus drill with hammer stop and roto stop - drills through concrete like it's not there,and have used it to break channels through 2-3" concrete path with the chisels that came with the drill.

As with all tools,you get what you pay for,and the best thing to do is get a decent set of drill bits.

Bigger drills also come with clutches - essential if you ever intend using them for core drilling,but not as important if you don't.Some have a positive lock with the roto-stop,to stop chisels rotating slightly with vibration.

For what you said you want to use it for,any SDS-type drill for about £50 upover would do you (but spending more will get you something better if you think you will need one again) - which is about the same as hiring one for the weekend!

Andrew

Mike

It should easily remove tiles from the wall (as well as a lot of the underlying plaster so be prepared for some remedial work :D )

The floor tiles are another matter and will depend on what sort of sub-base is below the tiles/concrete. If it is very solid then I agree with Tim and hire a breaker. If it's on rubble or whatever then you should be OK.

I have to confess that I would be lost without my DW SDS gizmo. My Bosch hammer drill got laughed at by the concrete walls in my flat when I tried to drill some small holes. The DW had the last laugh...hot knife and butter.

Back