More tool advice for a beginner required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flossie

Reaction score
I would like some advice on tool purchases.

I have only experience of doing the most basic of woodwork tasks, but I am reasonably practical and capable, ( I installed a power shower and associated plumbing recently which involved some woodwork ) and I would like to build a number of things for the house so I was wondering what tools would make this a pleasant and productive experience. I have the basic DIY tools, several saws including a cheap jigsaw, lots of chisels, surforms ( but no plane), various files round and flat, a basic workmate table ( which doesn't include a metal vice), clamps, electric drill and numerous drill bits, electric sander, set square, metal rulers, mortice gauge, several float levels, hammers and screwdrivers etc and I was hoping to embark on the following projects and wondered what extra tools I would need

1) A floor standing bathroom cabinet 400w x 400d x800h with an internal shelf, a door, and some sculptured base, made out of either some glorious dark wood which I would varnish to handle the humid conditions, or perhaps some cheaper wood which I would paint white to match the cyan and white décor. I was hoping to create a decorated door with a panel or grooves of some sort, perhaps something like one the base unit on the left in this collection
bathroomcabinet.jpg

2) Two wall-mounted bathroom cabinets with mirror of about 500 w x 500 h x 150 d with a shelf, and perhaps mount the mirror on a large extended hinge which would be attached to the cabinet door by another hinge so that the mirror could be pulled away from the door and rotate around a vertical hinge so that it could face any direction
3) The modification of an existing computer desk to reduce its width by about 5cm which would involve ripping off one side and cutting the relevant veneered chipboard panels and pieces and then fitting it back together.
3) A living room bookcase of about 1900 high by 1000 wide by 320 deep with a nice crown with some interesting grooves in it and capable of having some heavy books
such as
Mahogany+Village+Tall+Open+Bookcase.jpg

4) and perhaps even some display cabinet of a slightly smaller size than the bookcase but with doors with glass and further grooves or features in the woodwork

I was inspired to consider these projects, rather than buy the finished items, by the ease with which one can make wood work joints using a dowel jig I saw on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joint-Genie-pre ... 775&sr=1-8

41vtPBrC%2B8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and as it doesn’t seem to be rocket science I have decided I really ought to try my hand at being creative

So the tool list I have considered so far is
1) The dowel jig mentioned above, just to make my life easy, productive and less error prone

2) Some sort of circular saw or cheap table saw, I examined a number of these including the Ryobi ETS1526AL 240V 10-inch Table Saw for about £170 ( though there are refurbished ones available at £125)
41nk8pGPXIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-ETS1526AL ... 081&sr=1-2
or possibly
41rdm1MurUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

from
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Table-1700W-Fre ... 08&sr=1-69
but I have seen the same version for just over £100 somewhere else, though oddly the 1500w version seems to be more expensive, but perhaps that is down to additional extensions or blades

3) A router so that I can achieve some nice looking grooves etc on doors and crowns as seen in the bookcase and bathroom units above

4) And a book to help me such as
51DA934KVGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

which is available 2nd hand for a mere £6 or so and one of many such books available from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... &x=16&y=22

Sorry for the long post, and I suspect I might be a bit naïve in the skills required, what can be easily achieved and the tools required, but any input would be appreciated, particularly on a recommendation for the sort of power saw that I should get and the merits of the ones I have selected, I have already avoided some table saws that have received bad reviews on Amazon and elsewhere.

Mark

Welcome to the open forum Mark, sounds like you've got a head start on the tools, advice would always to buy the best you can afford, but best doesn't mean a garauntee to 'best results' its 'what you can do, with what you have' that counts.

A router-add that to your buying list.

Liking the bookcase a lot !

here's one I built, plenty more in the Projects, workshop tours and past mistakes, section-use search
a-bookcase-for-bonnie-swmbo-t51368.html

This jig is excellent for making 'housing/dado/grooved/rebates' in the sides of carcases

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giengB-eyZk

That dowel jig is very versatile, I just bought a cheapo 'Wolf-rubbish' one-it did the job surprisingly well.

HTH

I would re-consider your need for a table saw for the type of work you are proposing.

Putting sheet materials through a table saw takes a good deal of room and often some help. You may want to consider a track saw instead.

I have a table saw but have found recently I am using my Makita tracksaw for things I did use the table saw for. It cannot do everything but cutting sheet with great accuracy is it forte.

Mick

MickCheese":evpa9wec said:
I have a table saw but have found recently I am using my Makita tracksaw for things I did use the table saw for
I use my track (plunge) saw to break down sheets before accurately trimming the pieces with my table saw. (Before I get asked why I don't cut it accurately in the first place...I used to but the zero clearance strip on the rails has worn down and needs replacing so it it difficult to position it precisely. And I also enjoy using my new table saw immensely so find every excuse to cut stuff with it)

Search for "saw boards" on this site and google for DIY versions of the track saw. They can be made easily and cheaply, and you only need a normal circular saw to make it work.
I first bought a £60 Skil circular saw and made a saw board for it, which worked ok, but I found that the blade wasn't totally parallel to the base and the body of the saw was attached to the base by a very thin and bendy piece of metal, so every cut wasn't perfectly square and true. This could have been rectified if I had mounted the saw on a piece of MDF, but I didn't think of that at the time :roll:

Beware cheapo saws - a couple of weeks ago I bought a £15 circular saw from homebase just to rip a deck board in half. I tried it once then returned it immediately as the blade guard was so flimsy that it contacted the blade, bounced off in a shower of sparks and hit the riving knife, which fell off hit the blade and made the saw kick back.

Mark

barkwindjammer":2f8a5c4g said:
Liking the bookcase a lot !

here's one I built, plenty more in the Projects, workshop tours and past mistakes, section-use search
a-bookcase-for-bonnie-swmbo-t51368.html

This jig is excellent for making 'housing/dado/grooved/rebates' in the sides of carcases

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giengB-eyZk

That dowel jig is very versatile, I just bought a cheapo 'Wolf-rubbish' one-it did the job surprisingly well.

HTH

I have made some comments about your interesting bookcase project and thanks for the links. I am beginning to think the router may be more important to me than a big table saw.

MickCheese":3f645tf2 said:
I would re-consider your need for a table saw for the type of work you are proposing.

Putting sheet materials through a table saw takes a good deal of room and often some help. You may want to consider a track saw instead.

I have a table saw but have found recently I am using my Makita tracksaw for things I did use the table saw for. It cannot do everything but cutting sheet with great accuracy is it forte.

Mick

Thank you for your comments.

I think I might agree with you, a big table saw might not be the most helpful tool for the tasks. On looking at some of the options I have come across something called the EZ rail/track saw system which attaches to all circular saws and seems to have a number of advantages over a table saw, including accuracy and safety and wouldn't require two people for some of the trickier cuts. I will have to check this forum for comments on that system. I also came across a Festool rail system which is hideously expensive.

If you have the space and the money then there's nothing to stop you buying a saw, I know some people have let theirs gather dust/sold it and prefer a circ saw and a track/saw board.
Yer a router is a great tool.

Back