H&R moulding plane irons.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an upcoming project to make myself a partial set of hollow and round Moulding Planes. Initially I plan to start within the lower range of H&Rs 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2", and if all go's well expand that range to include 3/4" and 1". The wood species being trialed for the main stock including wedges will be rift sawn Snakewood Dellinnia. The following photo's show the recently completed lower range of H&R irons. The initial stages of annealing and later re-hardening the irons were included during this process.

Stewie;

Thanks for posting this thread. I'll be following this with interest. I have a load of rift cut beech blanks that I had originally offered for sale on here for exactly this project but I have more time now so I am going to resume the project myself. What you have done so far looks brilliant, please keep us updated with progress.

Cheers
Graham

I have attached some photo's that detail the progress so far with of the partial set of hollow and round moulding planes. Further progress is on hold while I wait for an order of skew edge floats to arrive in the mail.

regards Stewie;

Curious, are those skewed?

Also curious, are these made in Larry's pattern (i.e, from obtaining the lie nielsen video that Larry put together) or is their style generally taken from pictures of moulding planes (or perhaps a specific example that you have in hand)?

D_W":3v442ws4 said:
Curious, are those skewed?

Also curious, are these made in Larry's pattern (i.e, from obtaining the lie nielsen video that Larry put together) or is their style generally taken from pictures of moulding planes (or perhaps a specific example that you have in hand)?

David; the beds on these H&Rs are straight. The skewed floats are being used on the opposing front wall of the abutments.

The general design of these H&Rs are based on those I have in the workshop.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... rxegpo.jpg

Stewie;

The straight bed and skewed top of the wedge is curious. Do you think it's like that to bias the wedge toward the blind side of the plane once it's inserted?

Back