Grrrr and double grrrrrr grrrr

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingybob

If it aint broke dont fix it
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Been working on bathroom project and finaly got to point of having flooring laid today , so up early this morning to remove old toilet before fitter came at "p m " removed no problem , dry fitted new pan to find the outlet is further away from wall so need a extender pan fitting (first grrrr starts here )toolstation £10.18 screwfix £5.99 ok so screwfix it is neither one available till tomorrow , i know i will try wolesley plumbing £5.75 but plus vat and not available till tomorrow . Ordered screwfix reorganise schedule . 12 30 floor fitter should be here soon . 4 45 phone goes be with you in 5 ok better late than never fitter then finds a flaw in vinyl flooring canot be laid and no replacement till al least Tuesday next week (grrrr grrr) so late nite tonight refitting old toilet and re instating old pipework . Kinda spoils a good project 😢😢

So often is the case with bathrooms- did an old one last week-old cast iron connected to the pan with 5/6 layers of denso tape after previous plumbers attempts to fix the leak. So in I went with the angle grinder, cut the cast flush to the wall , fitted the flexible connector and went to fit the pan whereby I noticed a crack in the new pans outlet, shop closed and the only loo in the house . Just as well her parents lived across the Road.

Bathrooms are just a total pita, one job leads to another and causes further problems later down the line. At least you did not do a bodge and fit one of these corrugated pipes which are just absolute shitee,

1667508457508.png
Modeled on the human colon and with the same problem in that with both craaap gets caught in the ridges.

Last edited:
Bathrooms are just a total pita, one job leads to another and causes further problems later down the line. At least you did not do a bodge and fit one of these corrugated pipes which are just absolute shitee,

View attachment 146477Modeled on the human colon and with the same problem in that in both, rubbish gets caught in the ridges.
Bet he has!🤣🤣🤣

Bathrooms are just a total pita, one job leads to another and causes further problems later down the line.
A few years back I dealt with our en suite bathroom. Well planned, by day 1, all required items delivered and in garage. Start by putting valves on water supply so I can turn it off and have rest of house on, remove old boxing in stuff, engage children age 10 and 8 to carry bits downstairs. Disconnect and lift cistern off...... ..at which point I noticed I appeared to be lifting but cistern was staying still. Turns out I was going down, a small drip drip leak from before we moved in had turned the chipboard floor to soft bendy mush which was giving way beneath me. So as well as new toilet, sink, shower where a bath once was, stud wall enclosure, it was whole new floor and cut out a few bits of joist and patch....

So yes, bathrooms are a pita, 3 day long weekend job became that plus another weekend plus plus, grrr indeed. The only good news was that I did it in the first place, had I not then within a few months someone might have sat on the toilet and suddenly arrived in the sitting room below. I don't think I have ever had a job with water involved go entirely to plan.

the worst bit about bathrooms is they are always to small.....
can't swing a cat comes to mind...
just turned one into a wet room.....loads'a fun....
lucky the floor is solid concrete....
still had to dig the floor up tho to change the water run/ slope.....hahaha.....
the other problem is all day on yer knees......well the getting up.....
IMG_3180.jpeg

Obviously got my pedantic hat out today. Is "grrrr and double grrrrr grrrr" three grrrrs in total or five? In other words is a 'double grrrrr grrrr' two or four grrrrs? And what's the difference between a grrrrr and a grrrr? Just asking cos I like to know these etiquette type things.
Maybe I should get my coat as well. 🤣🤣🤣

it was made to be wheel chair friendly.....
gonna try and do one per year, so 3 to go......all concrete floors, inc upstairs....!!!!!!!!.

Obviously got my pedantic hat out today. Is "grrrr and double grrrrr grrrr" three grrrrs in total or five? In other words is a 'double grrrrr grrrr' two or four grrrrs? And what's the difference between a grrrrr and a grrrr? Just asking cos I like to know these etiquette type things.
Ha ha ha, I'm not alone then 😂
I decided to count it as five.

Grrrr? Last Saturday I paid £30 for two young Apistogramma macmasteri to go with a rather beautiful lone male I already had. He died on Monday.

Some years ago I and a mate put a complete new bathroom in a hotel. Complete being flooring, tiling, everything including a change of layout. The room was to be taken off for the week, and I told the boss to wait until we had everything necessary before taking it off. Oh, that's not necessary, it's all ordered, we'll do it next week. Are you sure? We've had cockups before. Yes, it'll be fine, it's all sorted. Monday came and we ripped out the bathroom. Re plumbed, rewired, new tiles, new flooring, everything went to plan until we opened the packing of the suite. Chrome fittings on the shower and basin, gold fitting on the bath. Back to the supplier - oh, sorry, we won't be able to replace them for at least a week ...

May all you future projects run with no snags or you will find out the etiquette of the grrr (by the way you look silly in that pedantic hat ) 😁😁😁

View attachment 146477Modeled on the human colon and with the same problem in that with both craaap gets caught in the ridges.
I actually used one of these a few years ago. Bog had previously been fitted with two of the normal fittings in-line. Wish I'd stuck with that scheme. The extendable one was slightly too long at it's shortest. Never mind, trimmed the pipe slightly, moved the bog slightly. Then the bloody thing leaked! Only a tiny bit though After a long time of trying to find something else to blame, I took it off and re-sealed it. Took the opportunity to shorten the extendable part so it could actually extend (and yes, YUCK) instead of being compressed. Ended up fitting and not leaking so... win, I suppose. Evil bloody thing.

Well I count one Grrrr, two grrrrrr's and two grrrr's. So it's like dogs really - you can have 5 dogs but 3 different kinds :)

A lot of these fittings have come to market not to make things better for the customer but as an easy fit on new builds to increase speed and reduce the skill level. Now we have plastic push fit so ensuring plenty of work in the future to repair water damage to property !

I think the flexable pan connectors are okay if they get you out of a situation, and I did read somthing from one of the big manufacturers about them having conducted tests on the effect of the ridges collecting poo and finding that it was not an issue,,following this I had to replace a cheap eastern european rubber flexable that had split and whilst I really didnt want to look I just couldnt help notice that the lower section inside the pipe was completely smooth and shiney,,,who said “you cannot polish a t-rd” had obviously never checked out a flexible! I guess like lots of things, if they are properly fitted then they are just fine.
Steve.

Back