Grrriper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niki

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day

If you remember, a year ago, I posted home-made Grriper and deleted all the project after realizing how dangerous it is.

Yesterday the Grrriper was on sale on all the American woodworking forums.
http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=32050
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/show/805#reply-8756

Of course all the replies were big WOW's to the "invention of the century"...

I was the only one that opposed the idea and had to stand alone against 350 million Americans and explain my opinion and non of you, the "Bretons" came to my help :).

Scrit
Aren't you proud of your student...:)

Regards
niki

Niki":2hxogqgh said:
I was the only one that opposed the idea and had to stand alone against 350 million Americans and explain my opinion and non of you, the "Bretons" came to my help :).
That's the French all over, Niki....... :wink: (Bretons???)

Niki":2hxogqgh said:
Scrit
Aren't you proud of your student...:)
Yes, well done! I don't think you're quite alone over there. Sgian Dubh and myself often enter the fray over on Knots, as does Sarge (although he may not count because he's a 'murrican). Maybe the thing to note is that Powermatic now make a saw with a riving knife (the PM2000), Laguna are selling their Eurosaws and the SawStop also has a riving knife. There's also enough pressure that OSHA/UL (OSHA are the equivalent of the HSE here and UL are the Underwriters Laboratories an insurance indistry f=unded sagfety body equivalent to the BSI)are mandating riving knives in the "near" future (ok, 2014 :roll: ). All they need to do now is sort out their backward ideas about what constitutes a safe rip fence!

For information OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) are the US equivalent of the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) here and UL (Underwriters Laboratories) are the US insurance industry funded safety body approximately equivalent to the British Standards Institute (of Kitemark fame)

BTW Niki the narrow strip question - better rip fences have a two position (high-low) rip fence plate like this:

SP130FenceDetail.jpg

newhammerfence00.jpg

The upper one is a Wadkin, the lower a Hammer fitted with a DELTA UNIFENCE. This design has been in use for more than 30 years, now. This design also allows the use of right tilt arbors on narrow rips with the crown guard in place. Our American cousins seem to get hunmg up on this one because they use what I refer to as a second-rate rip fence design :lol: They also seem to have difficulty understanding that running your hand down one side of the blade and leaning over the top of the blade to push through aren't safe manouevers :shock:

The brake thing is really quite simple to answer. When rough ripping stock at the start of a project it is often desirable to be able to quickly reset the rip fence setting - a brake means you don't have to wait a few minutes for the run-down - and as you rightly say run down accidents were quite common. Apparently since the regs changed there have been a diminishing number of them.

Scrit

Thank you Scrit

Sometimes is quite confusing for me...I don't know if you are British, English, UK'ich or GB'ish...because your country is called sometimes Great Britain, England or United Kingdom... :oops:

I've never "met" you on the other forums but I know SARGE. When he presented his Short Fence concept, I helped him with pics of my table saw.

My table saw is the Elektra Beckum (now Metebo) PK-255 and the fence has the High and Low positions but with all the "hold-down rollers" and the "feather rollers" that I use, it does not matter so much.

There was a post on Woodnet..."Riving Knife is crossing the pond" (and I said "Mazle-Tov", it's about time after 40 years) but according to the new regulation "Table saw must be equipped with Riving knife/Splitter" (I think that they call it Separator or so) and that, still gives the manufacturers the choice so, it's still not "Black and white" as in EU.

niki

Latest posts

Back