grinding your own lathe tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that safe?
I thought powered grinding wheels have to have metal guards round them in case they break?

Yes very dodgy to use without a guard. Also the wheel looks like it should have been dressed to get it running true first. Is it also a green grit wheel as it was sheding quite a bit of grit so not the right wheel for HSS.

Not to mention all that abrasive going over the lathe :cry:

J

its on a lathe not a grinder, speed was only few hundred rpm, no chunks missing. Yes it used to shed a little.....
Its how I do it - or used to before I got a bench grinder. Im not telling everyone this is how it must be done!

A little irresponsible to post videos using this dangerous method though (especially as your latest post appears to suggest you know this method is rather silly). The first stop for people who don't have a clue is going to be somewhere like YouTube for a "How To". Those with less common sense than most will probably try and copy what you've done. How would you feel if they had a wheel shatter and cause physical harm? How would you feel if they tried to sue you for it? This is a big problem with the internet, you open yourself up so much to potential legal issues by posting what is essentially an instructive video.

Couldn't bear to watch it to the end. Like watching small children playing football on a motorway :)

Good points, the videos where made a few years back following discussions on a different forum, i was just showing a couple of people how i got round certain problems - one being sharpening your own tools with out a bench grinder.

i have removed all videos from youtube now

Back