Got some wood for the comp and made this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougieH

Established Member
Reaction score
Popped round to a joinery shop (he is a customer of mine), and asked if they had any offcuts suitable for turning, for sale. Got 3 bits, 39 x 7 x 1.75 inch, 45 x 3.75 x 3.75 inch and 29 x 2 x 2 inch, in oak for £5. I reckon most of my competion entries are going to be in oak. Got Keith Rowleys Foundation book from the library last week, and have just received my copy from the bay that I won for £7.80 inc postage. Managed to get into the garage tonight for a practice and made this. In oak (surprise surprise) 4.5 inches high by about 2 inches wide, finished with 2 coats of button polish (to seal the wood) followed by 2 coats of Black Bison Fine Paste Wax. I like the finish, my wife doesnt like the smell. Loads wrong with it, probably rushing too much to finish, being near the top, however it was an experiment and I am very happy with it. I can see what I did wrong. It was made mostly with a 12mm skew. The square section was rounded using my 12mm SFG, but it kept digging in when I tried to shape and hollow with it. So I just used the skew. Its only hollowed to about 2/3 of the way down. Cost is a big issue so I was looking at the Axminster HSS tools. Any thoughts out there? Thanks for reading.

Doug

13012011150.jpg

Firstly can I compliment you on getting that done mainly with a skew :shock: I do a lot of goblets and use either a spindle gouge or a bowl gouge depending on how big they are. I do use a skew if I want a log thin stem otherwise I use the edge of a spindle gouge on it's side cutting much the same as with a skew. Looking at the picture there doesn't seem to be a lot wrong with it and doing it in oak is not easy at the best of times.

Pete

That's a nice shape. It seems a lot of people don't like turning oak but I think its good stuff. Probably because I have a huge amount of the stuff left over from my previous incarnation and I don't have the choice.

I rather suspect my competition entry might be oak too!!! You should have saved this one for November!!

I reckon the 'experts' are going to have some competition.

Thanks for the replies, this is very addictive. I now need to make the grinding jig out of Keith Rowleys book, as my grinding is a bit hit and miss. The tools feel sharp, but I dont think the angle is what it should be. I also wasnt sure how thin I could take the spindle with it being oak. And is it the bowl gouge for doing the hollowing?

Doug

I use a 3/8" spindle gouge down to about 3", after that it is too far over the rest and not safe plus you start to get chatter. so I use a bowl gouge and / or ring tool for anything deeper. Some say only use a bowl gouge but as long as you are sensible and don't over reach the spindle gouge is fine. How thing you take the stem depends on which way the grain is running. Oak can have a tendency to be brittle I find so you are probably sensible not going too thin. Personally I think a stem any thinner than you have would look odd anyway, what you have done seems about right for the shape etc of the goblet. The outside (by me anyway) is all done with the spindle gouge. Mind you I tend to do things using only one sometimes two tools if I can get away with it as I find it a lot quicker than swapping them all the time. If I could afford a Monroe that's be even better as you can do everything on a goblet with that LOL. I need to sell a few more first though

Pete

Very nicely turned Doug :D
Looks well finished and a nice design.
I have turned a few Oak pieces and find it very nice to turn,so long as you keep the tools sharp you get a good finish straight from the tool.Just be wary of wet Oak though as the tanin in it will turn all the metal bits black.

Thanks for your comments. I will be making the grinding jig from Keiths book, as my tools are, what I believe is called, multi faceted now. I also think I might need a new mitre saw,as after cutting the oak up, it started making funny noises. Will probably look at a band saw instead. But will that be before or after the pillar drill. Hope to get started on this months project at the weekend, but I`m not telling anyone what type of wood I`m going to use. Thanks again.

Doug

DougieH":guvyrd41 said:
Thanks for your comments. I will be making the grinding jig from Keiths book, as my tools are, what I believe is called, multi faceted now. I also think I might need a new mitre saw,as after cutting the oak up, it started making funny noises. Will probably look at a band saw instead. But will that be before or after the pillar drill. Hope to get started on this months project at the weekend, but I`m not telling anyone what type of wood I`m going to use. Thanks again.

Doug

Oak K so your not telling :mrgreen:

Back