got my record cl3 lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

del

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all

got my first ever lathe lastnight record cl3 never done turning before apart from the bowl i had in one of the first post on here ,but that was done with the guidence of the nice man i got a very good deal with for the lathe . so what know am looking to you all to keep me on the right track what shound i be learning first

cheers del

del":y65w0hak said:
hello all

got my first ever lathe lastnight record cl3 never done turning before apart from the bowl i had in one of the first post on here ,but that was done with the guidence of the nice man i got a very good deal with for the lathe . so what know am looking to you all to keep me on the right track what shound i be learning first

cheers del

Everything :mrgreen:

Well done with the lathe =D>

What to learn first :?:

Workshop safety , face and eye protection , good dust mask ( essential )

You tube has lots of woodturning videos

Ask if you have any local turners or maybe a local Club you can attend

I always advise tool control as a first must learn as well

dont try and make something , but just mount some wood , bowl blank of some 4" x 4" cheapo timber and have a go at roughing to a cylinder , then beads and coves
when you have done the entire length , turn it all off and start again , some with bowls , learn about bevel contact shaping hollowing out

Be safe :lol:

being a noobie too, the first thing you need IMHO is a bench grinder, cos 10 minutes after you start you'll probably need to sharpen your tools.
the difference in performance between blunt and sharp is spectacular, and makes everything soooo much easier :roll:
i can highly recommend (is that ok charley?) a book by Keith Rowley, Woodturning: A Foundation Course.
i covers all the basics and more, very simple to follow and piccys too.
but one of the most useful chapters is how to make a simple sharpening jig and how to sharpen your tools, INVALUABLE :D

then a chuck....
then some more tools...
extractor fan...
bigger shed.... :-" :-"
:mrgreen:

thanks blister and nev

will send for the book you were on about nev as for grinder yep got that got the shed got the chuck got tools in fact if i get any more tools will have to get another shed :D then i won`t see the wife lol :lol:

cheers derek

Latest posts

Back