Good for a Laugh

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer

Established Member
Reaction score
My plane collection, modest by some standards, but still numbering approx. 18 includes 3 Cliftons, a number of early '50s Records, one L-N, some Footprints, some oldish Stanleys ...

So I'm not too badly sorted for good quality planes.

Then in the post yesterday, this too-good-to-miss offer, exclusively for pros. :roll:
Hmm, do I have an urgent need for this disposable bladed beauty - a snip at JUST 118 Euros :?:

http://www.rali.fr/rabots/rali-professi ... ution.html

Apparently, I'll be able to adjust the blade even with my eyes shut. And 'no more sharpening' ! How can I resist?

I've no idea! That lovely shade of Smurf blue just oozes quality... well, it oozes something.

I can't remember where it was but I read a serious review of Rali planes somewhere recently which was trying to be nice about them, but ended up saying 'don't bother.'

Of course if you wanted a Paramo Plane master or an RB10, I might know where to find one... ;-)

What a curious way to go about things, it's not like they are that cheap.

Not wanting to start a fight, or cast nasturtiums on the one true sharpening technique, but (deep breath...) if I were paying an hourly rate for trades and had a facility out of commission because of refurbishment works or for any of a thousand other reasons wanted the job done lickety split, I might prefer to see the use of longish life disposable blades and the actual 'job' finished quickly over somebody exquisitely sharpening and honing a blade on my time. I know at the end of the day it all gets built into the cost, and I know that is one shocking plane, but Rali seem quite popular in Switzerland - do they offer an advantage for working on composite man-made materials? Accepting that it's a different order of cost, you don't often see carpet fitters honing their utility knife blades (yes I know, there's always one or two). Arguably, it's also more portable to carry a pressed steel plane and a couple of disposable blades rather than the regular plane and sharpening system of choice. What's the minimum time it takes to pop a blade out, hone it and get back to the job? If it's more than 5 minutes, in the right context, this might be the answer.

Just saying...

Rali have been around for decades. A few suppliers in the U.S. used to carry them - Garrett Wade if I recall. They never caught on, for obvious reasons I suppose. Somebody must be buying them though.

AndyT":1zf5kkqq said:
Of course if you wanted a Paramo Plane master or an RB10, I might know where to find one... ;-)

Thanks for the offer, Andy. For now, I'll stick with the Cliftons, Records &c. and hope I'll be able to muddle through somehow. :)

A lot of hard words for an obviously unknown product.

I've seen a professionell woodworker working with a (swiss) Rali and he let me try. I've got wisper thin shavings with this.
Both german dealer, Schmid and Dictum, sell them. They are not known to sell rubish. That is a perfect building site plane.

Why I don't use one? The blades are expensive.

Cheers
Pedder

Pedder is right - time is money out on fitting work and the carbide blade option makes it practical in situations where you would be hesitant about your best bench plane
I had the block plane 20 years ago but blades were expensive and not easy to find. The depth of cut adjustment was very good
Matt

Erm, whilst both do principally stock quality tools, Dieter Schmid do also stock Kuntz... so not averse to offering the bottom end of the bell curve.

dunbarhamlin":sx4vswdj said:
Erm, whilst both do principally stock quality tools, Dieter Schmid do also stock Kuntz... so not averse to offering the bottom end of the bell curve.

I only have and use one Kunz. And it does what it is supposed to do.
56725_8.jpg

(A friend helped me to get rid of the colour.)

How many Kunz did you try? ;)

Cheers
Pedder

KevM":3ms3r1gm said:
Not wanting to start a fight, or cast nasturtiums on the one true sharpening technique, but (deep breath...) if I were paying an hourly rate for trades and had a facility out of commission because of refurbishment works or for any of a thousand other reasons wanted the job done lickety split, I might prefer to see the use of longish life disposable blades and the actual 'job' finished quickly over somebody exquisitely sharpening and honing a blade on my time. I know at the end of the day it all gets built into the cost, and I know that is one shocking plane, but Rali seem quite popular in Switzerland - do they offer an advantage for working on composite man-made materials? Accepting that it's a different order of cost, you don't often see carpet fitters honing their utility knife blades (yes I know, there's always one or two). Arguably, it's also more portable to carry a pressed steel plane and a couple of disposable blades rather than the regular plane and sharpening system of choice. What's the minimum time it takes to pop a blade out, hone it and get back to the job? If it's more than 5 minutes, in the right context, this might be the answer.

Just saying...

Good points Kev. I was looking at it from a purist's point of view instead of a practical one.

Not often I go in the opposite direction to my dear friend Pedder but I have to say if you are going to use one of these...why not get a P/T and be done with it! :wink:

Mind you...it matches my rugby shirt and latex gloves! Oh the static!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jimi

Yesterday I had to witness an autopsy (not my usual kind of work, luckily! Kind of spooky experience). They used a very nice large knife with disposal blade. In the operating room disposable is the norm, mainly because it is easier to steralise. But post mortum sterility isn't so important anymore. In the professional world most people use disposable blades in all trades. Only expensive stuff gets resharpened and the resharpening is usually outsourced.

Happily in this field of work...we know how most trees died so we can still enjoy a world where beauty and form still exist over the horrible waste that is the throw-away world of today.

And long may it be so.

Jim

Back