Glue for Walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ijam

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be making a TV table from walnut veneered MDF, lipped with some solid wood.

I saw some comments on Lord Nibbo's recent project post that PVA can turn walnut black... what should I use?

By the way Lord Nib, that was a couple of lovely pieces of work you've just done.

Thanks

Ian

I've done a fair bit of stuff in walnut, both English and ABW and have had no problems with timber turning black with PVA glue...others may have had different experiences tho' - Rob

This usually means the the glue has gone off.....its either got too cold or is generally too old......I've had it happen with some oak that I glued up with PVA. The same oak cleaned up and with a new bottle of glue was fine.

I was using Titebond I, the end of one bottle and the begining of a new one.

SimonA

Yes PVA is normally OK. Reading the reasons for going black, yes it could of been it's age as I buy it by the gallon and it's nearly two years old, it was a little cold when I spotted the joint black but it certainly wasn't anywhere near frosty. but I do have another suggestion is water, i.e. the water used to clean off any surplus glue on glueup. Down here in cornwall I know we probably have the softest water in the country but it does contain many other nasties, what do you think?

I suppose I should get some mineral free stuff just for cleaning! :cry:

Back