Girl with balloon - Banksy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
After seeing the 'Banksy panda' in the scroll saw section I thought id post my Banksy inspired mirror.

I was walking around dunelm and noticed some bathroom mirrors with a normal mirror on one side and 3x magnification on the other- I thought it'd be great for squeezing my spots :)
vu8udy2e.jpg

This is how I left the mirrors on my bench for my work mate to find :D luckily I had a multitool in my car so bought one mirror then took the metal frame off - the edges of the mirror were pretty good (just a loose foam bit between the mirrors) so I bought enough to do his picture
ubevyjy4.jpg

It took a bit of faffing around to get the balloons the same.......very similar ;) to the mirror size. I had a spare bit of pine mdf and didn't fancy spending more on it to use a plain sheet, if I did another I'd probably splash the cash cause the jigsaw did cause the veneer to splinter up a bit.

Once the shape was cut out I thought it'd be paint it then mirror adhesive the mirrors on, job done.... Turns out the 3x magnification ones are not flat at all- from memory I think there was about a 2-3mm curve over the 6 inches which meant the balloon area needed routing out so the mirror sat flush.
yzava8un.jpg

At the top of the picture you can see the dissasembled frame and foamy bit.
I went to get some black paint from b and q and while I was there noticed a small heavy tin of magnetic paint. It was only 9 quid so I thought it might be a good job to try it on. I painted it everywhere besides the balloon area and was pleasantly surprised at how effective it was. The real problem came when I went to finish the top coat. Not sure if it was cause the magnetic paint was still a bit sticky when I put the top coat on, but the finished coat of paint looks cack :( I was hoping to put it at the end of my hallway but because the finish leaves alot to be desired it's been hidden out of sight on the bedroom wall.
gujazupy.jpg

2adequdu.jpg

Bit gutted I ballsed it up at the last part but its a project thats finished so im still kinda happy :)

Coley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I like that, I think it looks great on the wall :D
Very inventive
how many will copy this idea
Dave

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, it appreciated ;)
All of it was cut out using the jigsaw
nesu8u6a.jpg

For the long curves I used the wider blades but the small blade really came into it's own for cutting the tighter curves- I must order some more :idea:
Now the daylights shining in it really shows up the paint bumps
equ6ybe6.jpg

Almost matches the wood chip wallpaper :cool: :p

Coley
P.s thanks Banksy ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back