Getting rid of the redness in larch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodieallen

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
A local tree-surgeon convinced me to buy some larch that he'd recently planked up. I commented about the redness but he said that it would weather to a nice grey colour which was what we were after. True. It did. Eventually. Lovely colour. Until the next rain shower when it went back to its ghastly orange-red. I've tried neat bleach. I've tried mixing up some watery NHL lime. I thought about oxalic acid until a few Youtube videos showed that it only got rid of stains and took the wood back to its original colour !

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions ? The tree-surgeon has moved from the area :(

Staining with a hint of green will push red woods to brown. It's a colour-wheel thing.

Not sure what would happen if the red subsequently faded though.

I would always steer clear of vinegar and wire wool as a combination. Small particles of the wire wool will adhere and cause staining. This is particularly true on oak as it reacts with the tanin and causes tiny black stains. The strongest bleaches are the two-part hydrogen peroxide types (Typically called A&B bleach) from polishing supply houses (Mylands, Jenkins,Fiddes etc. in the UK). It is also possible to combine them with oxalic acid as an activator.

Just leave it and let nature take its course. It will do anyway and whatever you do to it will weather differently - unless you simply paint it.

Back