Generator advice reqd

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bingy man

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My customer has purchased a generator for working in his house- no electricity atm . I’ve been reading the manual ( bit sad I know) to get familiar with it . It’s a ROCWOOD RWPG1E 110/240 volt unit . The manual talks about grounding the generator which I assume means earthing it. There is an earth point on the genny but no ground cable supplied. My questions are 1 can I use any type of cable eg a 10mm earth bonding cable and attach it to a ground earth spike . 2 is there a limit on how long the ground cable is . On a 3rd point if I extend the exhaust to run outside allowing me to use the genny inside would this damage the genny . As a gas engineer I’m acutely aware of carbon monoxide poisoning and do not wish to poison myself or my labourer . TIA for your help with this issue.🤗🤗🤗

A lot of generators are designed to be run outside, with waterproof switches etc. you would also import the noise inside. But re earthing, it sounds like you won’t be connecting it to indoor wiring, so the odd tool and temporary lights maybe? If so and the tools have no earth wire, probably little point in earthing it.

Err yes sorry I should have added the genny is for a twin 50 watt led light and small power tools . Most will be 110 v It’s not going to be connected to the house electrical system ( no meter or consumer unit ) cables stolen by towrags .

Then I would run it outside and not bother with the earth spike. Your instructions book possibly refers to that as a floating earth (read none).

Latest posts

Back