Garden Gates Treatment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
Just had some new Iroko garden gates delivered, five bar types, (I know, a workshop full of tools like SWMBO pointed out, but I really couldn't find the time in the near future to produce them inhouse ! :shock: :oops: ).

Not sure how to treat them though. The manufacturer would have me paint them in a couple of coats of microporous woodstain, but I really don't like the film type finishes even if translucent and low build, and don't particularly want to stain them for colour. Think it can easily end up looking cheap and tacky.

Much prefer a natural look and was considering giving a couple of coats of a decent clear preservative like Cuprinol and then just retreating occasionally, or possibly applying teak oil after the preservative, but not sure if I should bother with the oil or not.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated ! :?

Cheers, Paul. :D

Well, having researched Iroko and found it to be nearly as durable as teak, decided to just treat it generously with lots of clear Cuprinol preservative and then hang as is.

If needed I can treat with teak oil occasionally to give a richer colour once they weather and fade.

Cheers, Paul :D

Paul - I built a garden seat in Iroko about 20 years ago, and even tho it sits on the lawn 52 weeks of the year, teak oil is all it's ever been treated with. Normally SWMBO's job which she does 2 years in 3. Because it sits on the ground I did stand the legs in some cuprinol which was aimed at killing/preventing wet rot - one saucer full under each leg and just kept the saucers topped up for 24 hours until it stopped drawing up. Also doused all the end grain with the same stuff. Wood appears as good as new and should see me out!

Thanks for the reassurance Roger :D

They look great at the moment with the natural finish.

Really didn't want to paint them over with one of those microporous woodstains, they can make the wood look totally dead and uninteresting.

Good trick getting the missus to do the teak oil, I'll have to try the same (my missus that is, not yours of course ! :shock: :lol: )

Cheers, Paul. :D

Iroko is used for harbour pilings and lock gates - there's a few on the canals up here in the North West - and it seems to survive for years in water without any treatment whatsoever.

Scrit

Back