garden furniture finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've read,Sadolin and Sikkens both make outdoor furniture preservative that seems to be held in high regard.
You need something that will move with the timbers natural expansion and contraction - after that,the colour is a matter of taste 8)

Andrew

I find Sadolin Classic (the one in the green tin) good in that it sinks into the wood without leaving a surface film to peel off. However, garden furniture takes a bashing from the weather (particularly if it's left out in the winter) so whatever you use the secret is to re-do it every year. With something like Sadolin Classic you might be able to get away with brushing (rather than sanding) it down before re-doing it. Products with a surface film that peels off always need sanding, which then makes the job a real pain :cry:

Paul

B&Q stock it, so that's where I normally get mine. I dare say most decorating type shops stock it - not sure what you have in Wales. If you have any branches of C W Brewers they would probably have it. Not sure of the price but it's not cheap - but it goes a long way because it's very runny. If you are lucky, people like B&Q often sell off outdoor wood finishes cheap as the winter arrives and sometimes dented tins much reduced. As I am always using it I often buy it when it's going cheap - us old pensioners have to look after the pennies :wink:

Here's a link to the Sadolin website http://www.sadolin.co.uk/index.php

Paul

Back