Garage wall material, not bothered about insulation!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HeliGav":1hwdb2in said:
What size garage do u have and how much did it cost approx to cover twice?

My garage is 25x8x8 feet, brick, with full size door at one end & a personal door.

When I did mine I used the multipurpose one as shown in the link (bought mine from B&Q, cheapest at the time!!!!) it is available widely. I used 2 x 5ltr cans but had some left over, I find it very good for wood.

You may get away with just 1 coat :D , depends how porous your walls are

Thompson’s also do a similar product specifically for brick/masonry.

I previously used the multi purpose product for a single skin conservatory that suffered badly from water soaking through the brick and it cured it completely. As I said previously it is easy & clean to apply

http://www.screwfix.com/p/thompson-s-water-seal/52043 (Multipurpose)

http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/water ... terproofer

http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/water ... -protector

regards

Keith

Think ill get down screwfix and have alook, checked over the internet theres also a solvent based product in the no nonsense's range, as people are now saying its better than thompsons as they changed to water based? How did you apply it did you just brush it on or spray?

HeliGav":45oo31bh said:
Think ill get down screwfix and have alook, checked over the internet theres also a solvent based product in the no nonsense's range, as people are now saying its better than thompsons as they changed to water based? How did you apply it did you just brush it on or spray?

Used a fence brush. The product is the same consistency as water, when you shake it turns milky not sure if you have neighbours but they may not want to share if you decide to spray :roll:

I am definitely not a fan of water based products BUT, I have just been outside and thrown a bucket of water at the side of my garage and the water ran off leaving just beads on the surface, that’s after 2 years.

Not sure IF & when Thompson’s changed to water based but the conservatory I mentioned in my last post was treated back in 2006 We left there in 2011 and it was still dry & Thompson’s was water based then!!

Regards

Keith

Finally got it figured! And got me stuff. Going brush on some waterproofer externally, got some breather membrane to put on the internal wall which im using 20mm clout galvanised nails to fix it with 10cm overlapping joints, ill put these into the mortar. Im then going fix batons every 400mm to 600mm using fischer hammer in fixings. The batons are 25mm deep so brought some polystrene 25mm fit between, then going to use plaster board 12.5mm to top it off! The only problem now is im on nights for a week, doh!

Do you think this will be adequate? To keep out the damp

Whats the best way to cut polystyrene sheets ?

Apart from pinning the membrane. Ideally you don't want to pierce it any more than necessary. I'd be inclined to silicone it on to the wall and cover the few clouts you may have to use with silicone as well.

Decided put the membrane over the batton and under the board to much of a ball ache on the wall due to fixing it! Got about 5 battons on last night, didnt realise how much rubbish ive got move just get at the walls!

HeliGav":3pan1mtw said:
Decided put the membrane over the batton and under the board to much of a ball ache on the wall due to fixing it! Got about 5 battons on last night, didnt realise how much rubbish ive got move just get at the walls!

Out of curiosity, why did you choose wallboard over a wooden finish? The one thing you need to do lots of on the average garage wall, especially a workshop, is put all manner of fixings in it for shelves, cupboards, nails for hanging woodturning smock etc etc. Woods a heck of a lot easier to do that to then plasterboard?

I had a new concrete shed professionally built. it let water through the walls. it was then professionally rendered with "waterproof" render. It still leaked every time it rained, I then myself sprayed the outside with Thompsons sealer using a paraffin spraygun. That fixed it dead, So I am now a convert to Thompsons. It is lovely and dry inside and the chicks are thriving. also my lathe is rust free :)

woodfarmer":3ezz3i0b said:
I had a new concrete shed professionally built. it let water through the walls. it was then professionally rendered with "waterproof" render. It still leaked every time it rained, I then myself sprayed the outside with Thompsons sealer using a paraffin spraygun. That fixed it dead, So I am now a convert to Thompsons. It is lovely and dry inside and the chicks are thriving. also my lathe is rust free :)
+1 good on wood also =D>

Random Orbital Bob":tma843dl said:
Haven't you "turned" those chicks yet Woody :)

I can get in there now and again when it is sunny as they roam about the place with their mums.
AND.... Whoopppee, today I fixed the XXXXXX bandsaw again and I now for the moment have a working bandsaw. (this time the bottom safety interlock switch had failed). Both of them are now wired out forever as they have a service life of between 20-40 minutes run time.

All I need now is a handle to tighten/loosen the table. The original lasted for about 6 or 7 usages.

Chose plasterboard over wood mainly due to costs only 5-10 quid a board compared to ply 35 quidish. In the garage I've got the old kitchen cupboards and a load of old ikea shelves as we renewed when we moved in so the majority of stuff is in them and don't need screwing to the wall. Would defo prefer ply wall but don't think ill get my moneys worth out of it, but u can always remind me of this conversation in 12 months when I'm rippin them out to put up ply! lol

HeliGav":33xb5ra4 said:
Chose plasterboard over wood mainly due to costs only 5-10 quid a board compared to ply 35 quidish. In the garage I've got the old kitchen cupboards and a load of old ikea shelves as we renewed when we moved in so the majority of stuff is in them and don't need screwing to the wall. Would defo prefer ply wall but don't think ill get my moneys worth out of it, but u can always remind me of this conversation in 12 months when I'm rippin them out to put up ply! lol

If it helps, I get 12mm exterior marine ply for £15 a sheet all in. Give me a shout if you want any :D

Thanks for the offer ill keep it in mind.

Any guidance on how to cut polystyrene insulation sheets 25mm, HOT KNIFE???

HeliGav":1qbpjngf said:
Thanks for the offer ill keep it in mind.

Any guidance on how to cut polystyrene insulation sheets 25mm, HOT KNIFE???
Stanley type knife with adjustable projecting blade will do the job nicely, just snap off for a nice sharp piece =D>

Was think a stanley blade, just the stuff is so brittle still does do a fantastic job, suppose thats what you get for being a cheap skate and not buying kingspan! =D>

Latest posts

Back