Fungus on oak - How can I cure/get rid of?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleSteve

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just acquired a large chunk of oak (8" x 8" x 96"), however from poor storage the one end has bits of fungus growth. The timber seems to be sound.

I intend using this for a oak framed porch on a traditional timber framed cottage (as is black & white cottage), so will be exposed to the weather when finally installed.

I'm considering wire brushing off the fungus, but would like to treat the timber to avoid any re-occurrence issues. So the question is, what would others do and what treatments does anyone suggest please?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

carlb40":2ai1zfvd said:
Not sure all chemicals will be the same. So you might need to ID the fungus first, to get a better idea. That is unless there is an all in one fungus killer.

Not sure if something like this would be any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLATINUM-MICR ... 2c61a8778a

Thanks for your post.

I checked out the link and found out they have all sorts of products, so to double check we'd got the correct product I emailed them (they have received it), but stil not had a reply from them, so put me off a bit.

Thanks

Steve

Sorry to hear they never replied. :(

Ahhh have you tried contacting them through ebay rather than direct email?

carlb40":3retl8fr said:

I had a 'read' report back to say they opened the email, however I will try via ebay.

Thanks

Steve

UncleSteve":1hazyd35 said:
carlb40":1hazyd35 said:

I had a 'read' report back to say they opened the email, however I will try via ebay.

Thanks

Steve
Yeah it's surprising how they respond to ebay contact as they will want to keep the positive feedback coming ;)

Ah... they've replied already (I know they had my email despite what they say here.....
Hi Steve, thanks for your message, sorry we don't seem to have received your email, we have been having problems with our emails recently, however our IT guys have hopefully resolved this issue now, anyway I note the problem you have and as the oak is going to be exposed to the elements I think the best product to use would be the universal woodworm dry rot killer, this is a solvent based product so you should get good penetration into the timber, the product contains a powerful fungicide that should kill any fungus already in the timber, treatment is best applied when timber has a moisture content of less than 20%, please see item number 190589726208

We hope the above is of assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Kind regards

Robert

Ebay does have it's uses sometimes. Same with any issues during purchases/ selling only ever use the ebay system for contact. It helps with the dispute process ;)

Don't wire brush with a steel wired brush, it will stain the oak. Is it fungus or mildew? Any pictures? External European Oak (Quercus Robur) needs no treatment when outside. Just needs to remain out of constant ground/water contact.

zb1":1n82z530 said:
Don't wire brush with a steel wired brush, it will stain the oak. Is it fungus or mildew? Any pictures? External European Oak (Quercus Robur) needs no treatment when outside. Just needs to remain out of constant ground/water contact.
Here's some photos.
http://bitz.me.uk/oak01.JPG
The pink flake of paint is not part of the issue ;)
http://bitz.me.uk/oak02.JPG

I can't post images, so visit the links.

Ahhh i wasn't expecting it to be like that :shock:

Are you able to cut away the fungi part and still have a usable size of timber for the cottage?

I'm not sure which variety it is. All i know is it's a bracket fungus. If it was chicken of the woods you could eat it. :)

All I think you need to do is dry the wood and that will stop the growth. The wood is very likely sopping wet and if you can get the wood raised off the ground with good air circulation you'll find that will initially slow down the development of the mycelium, brackets, etc. After that, keep it as dry as possible and the fungi will be reluctant to keep spreading. You could also apply a fungicide to deter the fungal growth. Do the two together, i.e., dry the wood and apply the fungicide, and you'll go a long way to improving the situation.

As to guessing the fungal species, that's likely to be a fool's errand. There are so many different ones that trying to identify what's growing on the wood from a low resolution photograph is largely pointless, unless you're perhaps a mycologist. All I can say for certain is that it's a bracket fungus, and there are multiple scores of that type out there that are happy to feed on wood. Slainte.

Isn;t this what causes 'brown oak'? Much desired by for its finish, not much desired for its structural qualities. Perhaps if its just for a porch then no big deal.

Marko

I am a long time member of a U.S. Boatbuilding Forum, and a retired Research Chemist there advocated the use of ordinary car antifreeze for the killing of fungal spores. He also used it successfully to treat athlete's foot.
When I asked him about dilution, he replied to use it straight from the can.

Many people from that Forum have used it to kill rot in boats. Boats used in fresh water, as opposed to salt water, are prone to rot.

It looks to be confined to the sappy edge and bark mostly which you should be cutting off if you are looking to use the oak for a structure. A porch wants to be all heartwood if possible as any sapwood will degrade quickly and crumble. Unless that is the look you are going for. I wouldn't be too concerned it is much less likely that the fungus is present in the heartwood. Cut it off and get building.

Back