Full of hot air

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just took delivery of the tool below.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370408075497&ssPageName=STRK:MERFB:IID (I have no connection with the company - natch)

For those who have a compressor, I reckon its HUGELY better than a Dremel. I finally got fed up with burning my hand on the drill and needing an extension to make it useable in the hand when doing anything delicate.

Its reasonably quiet and doesn't run out of power like the dremel. It also takes the Dremel collets and tools which is useful. I seem to recall that there is a decorated platter coming up in the monthly comp. Must practice.

loz":3hqm2ioq said:
postage is a bit steep though

Postage: £1,200.00

I did offer him full board and lodging for him and his family for a week for £1199 if he wanted to bring it personally. Sadly, he reduced it to £12. This also included 50 sanding disks which was handy.
Hudson Carpentry":3hqm2ioq said:
Not a bad price either.

May have to get one, don't the hose pull on it with the weight?
I have only had a quick go but it seems not. I did have the hose looped over the back of the bench but it feels light anyway.

Wood spoiler":3hqm2ioq said:
Be good to see what you have done with it and get comments about it's use
I'll be having the odd play I suspect and we will see if anything worth showing comes of it :)

Gordon

A word of warning from experience. Be careful when using Dremel bits, burrs etc as they are made for the Dremel with max speed of 30000. Your new tool operates at a much higher speed which can bend the shaft of the bits/burrs.

Mark

Guys,

What type of compressorr would you require to run one of these ? - Does the compressor give a constant supply to allow you to work for long periods - or do they need to recharge ( fill back up ! ) do they need to be cable to give a specified pressue output ?

guess what i am asking is - will a cheapo toolmart compressor and one of these give a an NSK type tool ???

As you can see i know little about compressors.

As an NSK owner, the NSK dental drill runs at 20 to 25 psi and uses about 2 cubic ft per min of air so a small compressor delivering 2.4 cubic ft per min or more will work fine but the air grinder mentioned in this thread does not mention its requirements, my air grinder runs at 60psi and requires 5 cubic ft per min of air so a larger compressor is required.

All compressors will need to recharge, the smaller the tank the more often it will recharge especially if a high usage tool is used, if the compressor is continuously recharging then you will need to stop and allow it to cool down.

It is also worth taking note of the noise levels produced by most compressors, either wear ear defenders or mount the compressor as I have outside the workshop and plum the airline with a regulator into the workshop

Mark Hancock":2nls7meb said:
Gordon

A word of warning from experience. Be careful when using Dremel bits, burrs etc as they are made for the Dremel with max speed of 30000. Your new tool operates at a much higher speed which can bend the shaft of the bits/burrs.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I am only using the metal tools for texturing. I found most of the other Dremel tools a waste of time anyway. The metal ones now cut extremely quickly without any pressure at all whereas with the Dremel, it took ages. I will take care though after your experience with them.

Guys,

What type of compressorr would you require to run one of these ?

The tool runs on 90psi and consumes 57 litre / min. Thats about 6 bar. My compressor gives 10 bar max. Strangely, with this tool, it seems to recharge more often than it did with the spraygun.

I'm no expert so I have no idea what you will need to run this tool. I bought my compressor for spraying and it has loads of capacity.

Wood spoiler":2iz3k8gg said:
Be good to see what you have done with it and get comments about it's use

I know its deeply unimpressive but it took all of about a minute. I thought I'd continue the leafy theme on a bit of scrap yew. The extra speed of this drill makes a huge difference to the ease of cutting and especially of control. It possible to get really fine detail without the risk of breaking through where you want to leave. With a bit of forethought, decent design and some careful cutting, I reckon this can produce some pretty good results.

This is definitely a good tool and I expect the noise of the compressor starting up will drive Veronica loopy over the next few weeks.

I don't know if its any easier than the sort of Dremel that has an extension drive but after using the ordinary Dremel a couple of times, I was seriously underwhelmed with its performance.

Attachments

• 100_2382.jpg
    100_2382.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 866
Well I had another play today.

The tool is in a different league to the Dremel, the high revs are a godsend for most things. It does have a sort of crude speed control but its still a bit fast for sanding so using the metal cutters on a hard piece of elm like the attached did tend to burn a little. But it had to be sanded off anyway when it was cleaned up.

The Dremel bits have been fine. The only thing I had a problem with was one of the grinding wheels that came with the tool. It disintegrated basically but I was asking quite a lot of it for a considerable time.

I reckon half an hour at a time is a good limit. Not because the tool suffers as it seems quite happy whirring round for ever but because, as its a compressed air tool, it gets cold. Makes a change from cooked mitts with the Dremel.

Seeing how the bowl turned out, I wish I had thought a bit more about what I was going to do BEFORE I started. By the time I'd decided where to start cutting, the wood had moved enough to prevent me cutting a couple of grooves as a boundary to the cutouts which I think might have looked better as well as providing nice straight edges. I would also have taken more care with the finishing on the lathe before I started cutting.

May have time to do another before the Vide Grenier on Sunday. I suspect they might sell even though I'm going to try and charge properly for my time on them. The wife likes it and that's usually a good sign. It was she who had the bright idea of drilling a series of holes under the cutouts. There was one knot hole and now there are several more!

Attachments

• 100_2419.jpg
    100_2419.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 785
Looking good

I think I have a solution for you .... Alternate 30 minutes of Dremel and the new air gun and that way your hand should be just right!

TheBay has lots of burrs at reasonable rates. I like the typhoon like carbide burrs myself but not sure if they are up to the high speed yours will be running at.

The stones that come with it I assume just burn wood at the speeds your running at.

The results quickly become stunning

Back