Free hard wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too would be interested if we could establish the timber and the size of the donation that would be required, although I'm sure that it wont be a problem. I'm also based in Southampton, and I have a van 9fingers so I would be quite happy to sort something out with you regarding collection.

It seems as though aero modeling and woodwork go hand in glove. I went, modeling, aircraft industry, mainly woodwork, then engineering.
I learnt a devil of a lot from modeling, including electronics.
Modeling automatically requires multi skills.
I can recommend it.

Roy.

Dear All,

Many thanks for the postings, e-mails and private messages. I'm not at work today, so I've not managed to reply to everyone.

I think it would be very useful if someone could pop over and clarify what wood these things are made of, I'll post dimensions tomorrow when I'm in Corby. Would a photo be permitted as well?

That way we know what were talking about and people can make decisions accordingly. I'd hate folks to come all this way and be disappointed. I really hope they are something "more useful", as we've got so many of them.

Regards,
Sarah

My reply to sarah which I think is reasonable...

Sarah, thanks for your reply, I could come over and have a look as I only live in Kettering but I think that if you want to shift them in numbers £7.50 seems like quite a lot bearing in mind the work required to remake it into useable boards and the fact it is in relatively short lengths, also people are going to be buying it for possible future use and wont 'invest' a large amount of money for something that they only might just find a use for sometime in the future.
Of course it is entirely up to you what you charge and best of luck but I would suggest a couple of pounds a board a more realistic price, esp for those who are going to have to travel. I dont think you will have achieved your aim if you sell a fraction at top price only to be lumbered with the rest.
Best Regards
Andy

Hi Andy, well said and very sensible too, I agree wholeheartedly,

Hi Beech1948,(Alan) if your serious about going to get some tops, (assuming they are what we hope they are) well, I'm certainly up for it, I could make good use of 4/5 tops, p'raps you could let me know a bit nearer the time,
Regards, Rich.

Thanks Andy for volunteering to assess the benchtops.

I'm collating the interest from a few forum members in the Southampton area and we can possibly organise a van trip to collect subject to your opinion on the quality. I've been in touch with Sarah by email so she is aware of our interest.
Please keep me informed

TIA

Bob

I would certainly be interested in a few tops and possibly even a bench, although that may be a little more of a challenge. Anybody interested from this neck of the woods wishing to split the diesel?

Bob

New to the forum, so hello to everyone.

After reading about the B&Q bargain Triton routers on here (then gonig around in ever increasing circles trying to find one of the damn things - unsuccesfully), this thread has just proved too much of a temptation for me.

IF the tops are any good, I'd be interested in a few for my workshop. Bob (9fingers) - you're not far from me - interested in sharing a van or taking our cars up to Corby? I'm not sure if I can PM people yet as I've only just registered.

Failing that, I'm up in Leicester for my work quite a lot so I could make a quick detour!

Rich,

I haven't yet thought about when to go etc etc. But maybe 26th Jan ( I think thats a Saturday) or the weekend after.

But I could perform the service ( is this what OWWM call Ruckering) for those from Wiltshire, Herts and any county around Berkshire except those south of me eg Hampshire/W.Sussex/Dorset. Even those from Southhampton as they would only need to come to my house to pick it up.

If your interested then please call. I can pick up maybe 4 x benches and at least 50 or 60 boards in my trailer.

If your interested then please send a message and tell me what you might want. First come first served for space. You would need to confirm items with the organisation and payment prior to my collection I assume.

I might want to see some pictures from the organisation selling these to see if they are what people need.

I have no room to store benches so you would need to pick up on the day after return. Eg Corby pick up Saturday - your pick up Sunday.

regards
Alan

Dear All,

Andy will be giving his views later, but I've had a measure up and the tops are 1200x600mm and just over 1 inch thick. The other news is that they are made up of Iroko planks jointed together.

I'd like anyone who wants them to be clear on this and aware of the precautions they need to take working it.

The tops are on beech legs (the whole thing is 80cm high) making nice science tables.

Some of the workbenches have big Record vices on with quick release and everything, which people may find of interest.

Regards,
Sarah

Can I be cheeky and ask you to set me aside one of those vices? I am in the market for one

Sarah Hill":32qcjthd said:
Dear All,

Andy will be giving his views later, but I've had a measure up and the tops are 1200x600mm and just over 1 inch thick. The other news is that they are made up of Iroko planks jointed together.

I'd like anyone who wants them to be clear on this and aware of the precautions they need to take working it.

The tops are on beech legs (the whole thing is 80cm high) making nice science tables.

Some of the workbenches have big Record vices on with quick release and everything, which people may find of interest.

Regards,
Sarah
Yes, I went armed with a piece of iroko as an example and a block plane to break thru the surface finish of the benches. The tops were pretty much a perfect match for the iroko and I am pretty sure that is what it is, the ones I looked at anyway. The bases were made of beech with sturdy 60mm square legs that could be broken down into useable pieces. They are good sturdy benches as is and despite the tops being iroko it is still a good inch thick and a very useable wood, you just need to take a bit more care with any fine dust. I think I will be going back for some.
There were also other benches with beech or ply tops and purpose made softwood carpentry benches with Record vices of various sizes attached which sarah will sell as is or will sell the vices seperately at extremely low prices. £10 was mentioned for a large British made Record vice and they seemed in extremely good condition and rust free. Engineering vices were also evident. She will also sell you a piano if you want :lol: and even a javelin :shock:
The place is the size of football pitch and is packed with all manner of ex school furniture, much of it graded by the amount of chewing gum stuck to the underside so you really have to make up your own minds whether it is worth the journey. It really is an Alladin's Cave and you might spot something that wasn't apparent to me when I looked, maybe even a piece of the elusive teak. :D

If anyone wants anymore help in deciding just ask.

Andy

£10 was mentioned for a large British made Record vice and they seemed in extremely good condition and rust free.

Wow - if they weren't a charity I'd buy a load to resell on ebay at 100% mark-up.

Unfortunately, Kettering is a bit far from Aberdeen for me to take advantage of this. BUT, I'd like to say publically that the aims of Sarah's charity really do seem incredibly worthwhile. The waste of materials and resources that tends to occur in school refurbishment is criminal, and anything that can be done to reduce this should be applauded.

Andy - did you have a look at how the iroko tops are fixed to the beech frames?

The beech itself looks fairly usable, but I can see that to transport it in any volume may cause a few headaches. Same applies to the benches with the Record vices (though they look like they've seen some action!)

Matt

Latest posts

Back