For Sale: Beautiful Stanley45 "Sweetheart" -SOLD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Off we go again...I had an hour in my workshop today and I had completely forgotten that I had this which was lurking on the bottom shelf in its box....

PRICE £90 plus post and packing at cost. NOW SOLD - SORRY

A VINTAGE STANLEY 45 "SWEETHEART" COMBINATION PLANE in near complete order as you can see in a wooden box.

DSC_0008.JPG

There is a list of bits and bobs HERE on the Blood and Gore website...and I thank them for the opportunity to repeat here this list:

#1 Set of cutters (explained later).
#16 Main stock - the part with the rosewood tote and a fixed skate.
#23 Cutter bolt - wingnut-activated bolt to secure the cutter.
#24 Cutter bolt wignut - fixed to the cutter bolt.
#25 Cutter bolt clip and screw - secured to right side of the main stock to prevent the bolt from working free.
#27 Cutter bolt adjustment screw - the screw that engages the cutter with a pin on the bottom of it.
#28 Cutter bolt adjustment wheel - the wheel held captive in the main stock through which the adjustment screw passes; both #27 and #28 are used to set the cutter's depth.
#29 Arm set screws - the pair of screws that fix the arms to the main stock.
#30 Sliding section - the leftmost skate that is set to the cutter's width; it rides on two arms.
#50 Left fence - the adjustable fence that regulates how far onto the wood the plane makes its cuts; it is secured to the arms with screws and has a rosewood strip screwed to it.
#60 Long arms - a pair of round arms onto which parts are fixed to control the plane's cut; they're around 8 1/4".
#61 Short arms - like #60, only shorter; around 4 1/2" long.
#70 Adjustable depth gauge - an L-shaped threaded gauge that is fixed to the main stock.
#71 Adjustable depth gauge nut - the knurled nut that regulates the setting of #70.
#73 Adjustable beading stop - the L-shaped gauge that fits into the sliding section; a screw like #29 secures it.
#75 Slitting cutter stop - a stamped metal stop to control the slitting cutter's depth; it is located near the tote.
#76 Thumb screw - along with a washer, is used to hold the slitting cutter and its stop.
#80 Cam rest - a D-shaped stop that is fixed to the arms to give additional support when planing; this was added ca. 1905.
#81 Cam rest set screw - the screw used to secure the cam rest.
#85 Spurs with screws - the spurs that are fixed to the skates, forward of the cutter; there are two - one on each skate.

I will leave it up to the potential buyer to compare the list against the content shown in the photographs but I will say that this plane was used many times and some of the cutters have been reground/honed or replaced but most are unused.

DSC_0011.JPG

A couple are additions to suit the job of the day! Note that the cam and stops are all there and these are the ones that go missing. Probably retained because this entire piece of magical engineering resides in its own plywood box...may be original...may be not...long before I became the owner though! There is also the bottom half of the cutter box.

This is the much sought after "SWEETHEART" model...not to be confused with later rubbish! This is a masterpiece of engineering which you can sit and play with for HOURS or just put it to work. It has more knobs than the Space Shuttle!

DSC_0015.JPG

Condition is very good with no splits to either gorgeous rosewood original handle, knob and fence. It has hard resin from wood over most surfaces which could be cleaned off if you were so inclined...but no rust. Some tarnish to cutters as usual but no pitting.

DSC_0019.JPG

Anyway...that is enough guff from me...I will leave you with some pretty pictures to help you decide and will answer any and all questions.

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

Any enquiries or if you want to buy this wonderful example...please PM me.

Cheers guys and gals

Jim

HA! Thanks Dick...yes it is rather nice isn't it and I will be sad to see it go...but chaps and chapesses...I do have a firm "yes" subject to overseas postal charges and one other waiting to snap it up if charges prove excessive and unacceptable.

Sorry to all those who wanted it...I will be digging further down in my treasures box for some more bits and bobs over the weekend....

Jim

Hi All

After checking postage to foreign climes...it is mutually agreed with the first requestor that because of the weight it is simply not viable.

SO...this little darling is back up on offer at the original price for one lucky person....first to PM me wins....

Once again I want to point out that this is only available for a short time as I need the dosh for something special so no takers by the weekend it's up on fleaBay for much higher.

I do like to give my buddies here a first bite of the cherry though...

Serious buyers please PM me soonest...PayPal payment please. Postage at cost which is around £12 to the UK as it is blinkin' heavy.

Good luck!

Jim

Jim, this is plane crack to me I'd bite your hand off, but I don't get paid till the end of the month, what a fantastic plane, someone is going to get a bargain.

That is a thing of great beauty and a very useful tool in the right hands, shame i have no spare money in the kitty for the" lesser used hand tool collection"

Hi Byron/Awkwood.....yes it is a beauty indeed...and as such it was snapped up again when it came back up on the market.

Sorry to those who PM'd but just missed the sale (again!). The winner got up at 6:45 to win this so the early bird......

Cheers and watch out for more from my ancient treasure chest.

Jim

Latest posts

Back