Fobco drill refurb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped all the stuff off today for powder coating should be about a week. Getting all the Bristol levers done in black as the chrome is completely knackered.

Ordered one set of bearings today off eBay I've gone for budget £2.99 ones for the pulley bearings. Should be ok but I'm getting decent skf ones for the quill at £13.51 each.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

A good way to get the bearings on is to not only freeze the shaft but to heat the bearings up alittle on a light bulb. Works a treat.
Mark

Yeah I had read that but I was advised not to heat the bearings as you lose the grease, not too much of a problem as I can put more grease in.

Nice work Chris.

Following with interest as i've got plans to pick up a similair (as yet unbought, but probably a floorstanding model) press some time soon.

Cheers

Karl

Cheers Karl, I added up how much I've spent on it so far its not cheap :shock: but it should be worth it in the end.

Voila , its up and running now. Still has runout so I'm guessing the spindle is bent :(

8099514005_481e132803.jpg

Got myself a nice little dial indicator off eBay today. I've checked the very end of the spindle and on one rotation its running out 0.18mm. Next I need to check it with a rod in the chuck to see how it is at the chuck.

EDIT: just double checked and its 0.16mm at the tip of the spindle , then i fitted the chuck and put a router fence rod in it. I measured the run out at 40mm from the chuck jaws and it was 0.74mm

What do you think on those measurements guys is that a long way off ?

phil.p":1inlc9wl said:
Once again a whack with a "gentle persuader" works wonders.

Yep , I did take the spindle right out though, didn't fancy ruining my new expensive bearings.

Back