Floor Access Hatches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
Just prior to putting our new carpet down upstairs I'm thinking the potential changes to the kitchen's lights might need be accelerated. To do this is easy enough and may require accessing the floorspace under the chipboard floor upstairs.

The Trend Routabout is obviously the ideal tool for the job but at £35-45 for just a couple of uses should I be considering some thing else?

My options at the moment are...
1 - There's someone nearby with one that will lend it to me for a day? Please?!
2 - Do the same thing as the jig but manually and replace with some MDF disks to fit. I can't see this being too difficult, any thoughts?
3 - Buy the damn jig, life's too short.
4 - Do something else

Oh great wisdoms of the fori, I do beseech thou opinions...

aidan

Apart from the Trend unit, there is also the Armeg Solid Boad Cutter & you cany buy ready made blanks, though that is not cheap either.
I can't post links as my account is not allowed as I am new I guess!
The SBC is typical of what us sparks use to make these sorts of openings. :D
Hope this helps.

When re-wiring I just cut square holes with my Festool TS 55 and finish the corners with a Fein multi-master and leave about a mm of material remaining in the cut so as to not cut through poorly routed cables and pipes that touch the boards (happens a lot!!). I then break out the square with a couple of hammer blows.

Upon patching up, a couple of decent size battons glued and screwed to either side of the hole lets the bit you cut out fit back in. If the hole is not to be lifted again I screw it down to the battons and then fill the thin cut with green tube Grip-fill, strong and no squeaks .

There is a hole cutter specifically for this task by a company called Armeg I believe. You cut the hole and at the same time the cutter makes a rebate. You then buy plastic cover plates which sit flush in the hole resting on the rebate.

I only trust my method as you only need to cut into one pipe to ruin your week :(

Steve

TheTiddles":uhrzyrx2 said:
Just prior to putting our new carpet down upstairs I'm thinking the potential changes to the kitchen's lights might need be accelerated. To do this is easy enough and may require accessing the floorspace under the chipboard floor upstairs.

The Trend Routabout is obviously the ideal tool for the job but at £35-45 for just a couple of uses should I be considering some thing else?

My options at the moment are...
1 - There's someone nearby with one that will lend it to me for a day? Please?!
2 - Do the same thing as the jig but manually and replace with some MDF disks to fit. I can't see this being too difficult, any thoughts?
3 - Buy the damn jig, life's too short.
4 - Do something else

Oh great wisdoms of the fori, I do beseech thou opinions...

aidan

Aiden,

I don't have the jig, but I can make you a couple of templates/discs and swap them for a flow meter if you have one left.

I'd buy the Trend Routabout jig, do the job and if I couldn't see any future work for it, I'd flog it on Ebay. Used kit often goes for near new prices.
just had a look on the 'bay and found this for £20 plus p&p...not too dear to make a nice neat job of your access ports.

Use a fein and cut a square...then glue some offcuts up underneath the surround, overhanging the hole and clamp until set. Then the square you cut out will sit on top of the offcuts.

or buy and flog on ebay

Yep, at that price +postage +commission on paypall etc... it's still worth a punt. Just have to determin the floor thickness, maybe that's going to have to wait till tomorrow when sleeping beauty is awake

Aidan

Ateallthepies":2ule6eu0 said:
When re-wiring I just cut square holes with my Festool TS 55 and finish the corners with a Fein multi-master and leave about a mm of material remaining in the cut so as to not cut through poorly routed cables and pipes that touch the boards (happens a lot!!). I then break out the square with a couple of hammer blows.

Upon patching up, a couple of decent size battons glued and screwed to either side of the hole lets the bit you cut out fit back in. If the hole is not to be lifted again I screw it down to the battons and then fill the thin cut with green tube Grip-fill, strong and no squeaks .

There is a hole cutter specifically for this task by a company called Armeg I believe. You cut the hole and at the same time the cutter makes a rebate. You then buy plastic cover plates which sit flush in the hole resting on the rebate.

I only trust my method as you only need to cut into one pipe to ruin your week :(

Steve

been there done that :)

Back