Floating wooden floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the type of subfloor you have,whether concrete screed or timber,and again whether it is an engineered floor or solid.Engineered boards are excellent for a floating installation, because they are generally wider than the average solid board and less liable to have twists.

I laid some solid oak boards (about 6" wide) using Clip'n'Click from Hoebeek directly onto a concrete floor but I did first lay down a thin sheet of foam because I knew that no matter how flat I thought the floor was, there would always be a clack and a clatter as I walked on the floor and the boards moved downwards just that little bit to hit the concrete.

I also discovered that the concrete floors simply weren't that flat and so, even though the boards were fixed together, they really did float in places with a noticeable downwards movement as I walked on them.

So, this time, I'm definitely going for the self-adhesive foam stuff especially as the area is primarily a corridor and so fairly narrow. If it were a larger room with lots of furniture anchoring the floor down then I'd think again.

Roger, hope you don't mind me askign questions in your thread!

I am going to lay solid 15mm bamboo. Floor is concrete with vinyl tiles which are stuck on with tar. Going to lay an underlay which has foil on the bottom. Room is about 5.5 by 3.5m.

So can I float?

Back