Fixing corian to wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard D

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to build a unit that has a piece of corian set into a wooden frame (rebated to support the corian all the way around). There's about 2.5 metres of "joint" to glue.

But what adhesive should I use? I'd rather not use an epoxy (I hate the stuff, and this will be used in a food environment), PVA isn't going to bind to the corian, and hot glue will be cold by the time I'm halfway aong the second edge (unless I just glued the corners, I suppose).

If its just set into a rebate then silicon would do the job OK. Mirror adhesive is another possibility but it can be a bit messy as its a bit stringy when you pull the mastic gun away.

Jason

PU or Polysulphide sealant / adhesive available from scewfix, toolstation, ebay etc. - sikkaflex is one brand which comes to mind.

Stcks almost anything and you can get a solvent free version if that's an issue. extremely water resistant as well and a reasonable open working time though you'll still need to work quickly.

You'll have a hell of a job getting it apart again :D

If you were doing the job as recommended you would need to obtain the correct corian adhesive (difficult to get). Any of the other similar solid surface adhesive is almost identical apart from colour but it's all expensive at around £40 + vat :shock: I've been using mistral adhesive to join worktops today as it happens. 10 mins working time - rock hard in 45 mins.

A very good substitute is one of the araldite 2000 adhesives. There are 2 or 3 specifically for that type of composite - I used araldite 2022 to very successfully sick corian - corian & corian to wood.

cheers

Bob

I have used super glue very successfully for small corian to corian joints and good old silicone for timber to corian (ply in my case).

There is a company in Tunbridge Wells, Kent that supply corian adhesive and the applicator guns too. Price quoted recently was £15 for the adhesive and £25 for the applicator gun.

The Corian glue is only really suitable for corian to corian joints it will not adhere to timber very well. You could glue some blocks with inserts in onto the corian and then bolt the corian down if the design allows.

cheers

jon

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

The corian top might not need gluing in at all if I make the surround nice and tight :) I'm not too sure about *any* of this stuff, as my woodworking "skills" amount to little more than classes at school back when I was 11 or 12, so half the time I'm making stuff up as I go along and hoping that it turns out all right. But as this is for actual use in our kitchen, I rather need to get this project right.

Latest posts

Back